any UTMers? need advice *computer related*

deep_lover

I REALLY REALLY need some advice.
Well.. ill be going to UTM this fall and im living at home.. busing there half the time, the ride takes 1/2 hour total (2 buses).
I just got myself a compaq 14 inch laptop (1.80ghz, 60mb hard drive) for a low price of $899.99 plus tax from Best Buy. (the model is Compaq v2305)
im not sure if i made the right decision. My mom said..to pay more and get a better one, a PC, large screen (she always worry ill go blind when i watch tv series and movies on it), faster (a lot faster).

Ok. my question is wether I should get rid of the laptop for a better specs pc?
but ill be giving up portability.. the thing i need to know is if the laptop will be really useful or not? Im going into Commerce by the way. how many times do you think ill actually need to bring the laptop to school (to work with friends.. for like a CASE STUDY for example) in one year?
is the protability aspect worth it for me to sacrifice speed, larger screen?

(i rarely watch movies on my computer.. sometimes i watch dramas though. The ting is i noticed the graphics for games isn't that spectacular because the video card included is not that great.. on the laptop i mean)

please help! Im going to be stuck with my computer for the next couple of years.. I don't want to regret my choice!!

thanks in advance.

alanuofm

VIP Member
that is quite expensive for what you got. i would return it. for 900$ you can get a really good laptop.

alanuofm

VIP Member
i just configured an inspiron 6000. very nice laptop.

pentium M 1.6
512 mb of ddr2
128 mb x300 ati
40 gb hd
24x cd burner/dvdrom
1 year warranty

$905.90 includes shipping and 6% sales tax.

deep_lover

u got it for cheap. where'd you get it?
seems like some review critics say to get an extra rechargeable battery for it and its not a game machine?

i liked how mine looked on the inside and that its not too heavy to carry it around, if i need to (im a girl).

alanuofm

VIP Member
your computer you bought is definately not a gaming machine and the estimate battery life is 2 hours. the one i configured is a gaming machine, faster, and i would estimate a 4 hour battery life. the pentium M is a lot better than the sempron that came with your laptop. and the inspiron 6000 is very sharp. im sure you would like it. heres a picture of it.

edit: just go to the dell website and look at their line up of laptops. the 6000 is what i configured. before you order you can check back here for suggestions.

if you are interested in other specs i'm sure i can find a laptop much faster and cheaper than 900$

Last edited: