Anyone know a way to schedule volume changes in Windows?

AFoster

I am running Windows 2000 and have set up Outlook to play a .wav file when email comes in. It's very useful for alerting me to new mail when I'm in another room in the house, but at night I have to remember to turn down the speaker volume or I'm awakened in the middle of the night by my PC announcing that new mail has arrived. Windows has a software volume controller in the Applications program group, so does anyone know of a way to schedule the muting of sounds. It would be great to set up my system to automatically mute itself at 9pm and return the volume to it's preset in the morning, at around 7am. Perhaps there is even a bored software engineer out there who might like to take up the challenge and produce a little freeware utility that does what I'd like :) ?? Thanks Andrew Foster

AFoster

geranimo:// said:
cant you just turn of your speakers when you go to sleep? :confused:

Well, thats how I've been trying to do so far, but it relies on me remembering. As I said in my posting, when I forget I'm woken in the middle of the night by the sounds of arriving mail. There must be a tidier solution.

hardeez1

hmm maybe you could do this through the task scheduler... or use the "at" command in ms-dos command prompt... if you dont no how to use these things just post again.

BlaBli

hardeez1 said:
or use the "at" command in ms-dos command prompt... if you dont no how to use these things just post again.

so im posting ... :cool: can you please explain? is this AT command is for writing some kind of batch file or a script? how can i use it and for what purpose?
thanks for your help m8 ;)

cheers

Verrona

I am not sure that there u can schedule times for the sound to be muted. If there is i am sorrry but i haven't heard or noticed it before.

BlaBli

hardeez1 said:
or use the "at" command in ms-dos command prompt... if you dont no how to use these things just post again.

so im posting ... :cool: can you please explain? is this AT command is for writing some kind of batch file or a script? how can i use it and for what purpose?
thanks for your help m8 ;)

cheers

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone know a way to schedule volume changes in Windows?
Sure, write a quick VB/C++ proggie to do that ... windows scrpting might even support it. If you dont wanna mess around with windows APIs (which are sometimes machine dependent) you can even do it via DirectSound I think (or hell use the CD player component for VB and set the volume)

cant you just turn of your speakers when you go to sleep?
1. Sleep?
2. What happens if I want very loud noises say every 20 minutes so I dont actually go to deep sleep?

AFoster

Thanks Praetor, the information you gave was useful, but if I knew how to do any of the things you suggested I would have done it. Can you explain how to go about doing what you suggest? Thanks.

AFoster

Thanks Lorand. Scheduled the mute task twice - once for 10:30pm and once for 7:30am because it mutes if you execute it once and unmutes if you execute it again. Does exactly what I wanted to do - works great. Thanks.