Anyone know how to simulate a reliable and steady connection but adjust ping to a "higher" delay?

minitank

I ask this, because I want to be able to simulate delay without, buying more, additional units to create a loop of transfers to the point I can reach certain desired milliseconds. I need the delay of data transfer, and not the slow of data transfer. Cause I also plan on buying a 56k modem in the future, and hopefully find a 33.6k one as well.

beers

Staff member
Why do you need a 33.6 modem if you already have a 56k one? They can down-negotiate to lower speeds.

You can use netem on linux to simulate latency, packet loss and similar network events either at a statically defined or variable scenario.

It'd probably be easiest to get a small single board computer that has two ethernet ports on it, then you can simply bridge them and apply the latency/loss policy as traffic goes through it.

You might even be able to do it with Openbox and have an inside VM that has to traverse some netem policies as it goes somewhere else or even to your physical adapter on the host PC.

minitank

Why do you need a 33.6 modem if you already have a 56k one? They can down-negotiate to lower speeds.

You can use netem on linux to simulate latency, packet loss and similar network events either at a statically defined or variable scenario.

It'd probably be easiest to get a small single board computer that has two ethernet ports on it, then you can simply bridge them and apply the latency/loss policy as traffic goes through it.

You might even be able to do it with Openbox and have an inside VM that has to traverse some netem policies as it goes somewhere else or even to your physical adapter on the host PC.

I need to do a lot of things to understand that 1 gigabit is a disaster and.. right now I have the evidence to prove it. I need 2 dial up modems at the minimal. but I want a default windows 10 way of simulating a "stable" high ping of at a maximum of 250. After connecting to servers at 200 ping, at 33.6 kbps... ya there is no reason to not try any legit dial up providers. I am just not seeing the desire to invest huge sums of money for high mbps. However, a ping is worth more than a megabit. Trust me, there is no reason to even care about more than 1.024 megabits. If anything you can live happily with a little bit less. Problem is.. is the god forsaken ping, especially with wireless devices that are not manually programmed properly.

Last edited: