Anyone know where I can get a replacement SATA ribbon cable for an HP ProDesk 600 G2?

Krieger

I've been making a few upgrades to my old HP ProDesk 600 G2 mini PC including a new 1TB SSD and broke the cable that connects the hard drive to the motherboard. The numbers & letters on the original cable are as follows: 902746-001 HDD SATA & just below that on the cable is written; MGE 16/51 Rev A. This particular SATA connector seems very difficult to find and most vendors seem to mostly have the 17/22 ones which I'm not sure would be compatible. So does anyone know where I can get this particular replacement cable?

Darren

Staff member
From my experience with HP's part numbers when I worked repair, if the part number matches, that's all that matters. I see tons of them on Ebay. The numbering on the cable itself seems to vary but if the main part number matches it should work. If it doesn't, well, it's an 8 dollar part, but I bet it does.

beers

Staff member
Pretty much the above.

Also keep in mind that both the power and data connectors are standardized, otherwise you wouldn't be able to install an off the shelf or aftermarket HDD/Optical/etc. So they'll all have the same pinout, the connector itself is simply combined, much like a SAS connector.

Krieger

Alright thanks. For some reason it was hard to find the correct specific one on other sites. Also got the cooling fan I needed there as well. Damaged the cooling fan when cleaning it but at least thst should be easy to replace. I'm just glad the motherboard is still good.

Darren

Staff member
At my repair shop I'd say 80 percent of our parts just came from Ebay. Rarely ever had issues, lot of full blown parts recycling operations use it as their storefront.

Krieger

At my repair shop I'd say 80 percent of our parts just came from Ebay. Rarely ever had issues, lot of full blown parts recycling operations use it as their storefront.
They do seem to be a better source for parts than Amazon.

Krieger

Also noticed a weird issue with 2 out of 4 USB ports in the back don't seem to work. Any idea what could cause this? Also how much on average should it cost to repair? I get the feeling they may be burnt out as I once had a USB hub short circuit on me while it was connected to one of those ports.

Krieger

Ports are probably just dead. Fix would be new motherboard.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Luckily it came with 6 ports(2 in the front and 4 in the back) so 2 dead ain't a big deal. 6 is more than most PCs on the market. Most laptops just have 2.