anyone play with one of these before?

AainaalyaA

oh yaaaa... wanna one of that too... damn, my lifestyle is getting a bit toooo expensive even for my own taste!

Nephilim

VIP Member
I haven't read good things about those. Apparently the reliability and transfer speeds are a bit lacking.

nomav6

I thought the transfer speeds would be a little slower, and I thought a little more about it, and was thinking if your going to spend the money you might as well get wireless.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely an issue with the reliabilty there.. prolly depends on how clean the power is. :)

Dave2k

it works off the same technology that siemens (Europe's General Electric) is working off of. Powerline broadband. Reliability isn't that much of an issue if your house is fairly new and uses properly grounded wiring.

Reliability and cost effectiveness starts becoming a problem when you get into old houses/buildings

kb1ghc

NO THEY SUCK!!!!!
THEY SUCK!!
THEY SUCK!!!

Power Companys are trying to push this technology for Internet Access in rural areas! but they suck! they cause way way too much RFI! It's evil, don't do it! (and they trying it out near my friends house, and it causeing wicked bad radio interferance)

for more information:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/06/18/8/BPL-and-HF-web.mpg

watch that video, it's awful

cutBPL.gif

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
NO THEY SUCK!!!!!
THEY SUCK!!
THEY SUCK!!!
Damn ... we catch you in a bad month? :p

It's not the greatest of ideas but if it's implemented properly it works superbly -- noise isnt even an issue -- i know because i spent last term workin on that stuff.... of course it was in a lab and field results are definitely not the same but the capacity is certainly there

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Damn ... we catch you in a bad month? :p

lmao. my friend uses them for his laptop, he likes to move it from the living room to the kitchen, to the back of the house u know. and b4 he had wireless he used these (dunno what brand) never a reliability problem that i knew of but he said it was slower than when compared to being plugged into an actual cable modem.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Something people seem to forget so readily is that every product, every make has flaws and that one person will find a product remarkable while the next finds it disasterous....