apple 20" A1224 reset forgotten password

justwayne

How do you do a factory reset on an apple or imac all model A1224 20". My mother had given it to me but they dont mess around with the internet much so im left trying to figure out how to factory reset it with a password lock. I read you have to hold the command button+r till the erase utility screen pops up. However im using a windows keyboard where i was told the windows option key is the command button as well as ctrl.
Ive tried holding the windows+r button on start up as well as ctrl button+r and goes to the same password screen.
Any help would be appreciated

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Hold down windows key + r and press the power button. Continue holding WIN+R until you see the apple and loading bar appear. It should then start in recovery mode.

justwayne

Hold down windows key + r and press the power button. Continue holding WIN+R until you see the apple and loading bar appear. It should then start in recovery mode.
Ive tried and doesnt get many anywhere. Now when i hold the alt button on start up i get a macintosh hd and globe screen and the regular loading bar that most have before the pw screen.

I talked to apple support they told me hold power button till it pops up , windows+r, ctrl+alt+r, ctrl+r several times and just goesto a password screen they then had me enter pw few times to see if it would go to a screen that says "recover or forgotten pw" which it would never go to. Its a IMAC 20" 2007 model A1224.

I read online that you could swap the ram hold the windows and either +ctrl, windows or+ alt or both as well as +r+p and have the screen reboot three times with 3 chimes till it went to a screen without a password by simply swapping the ram. Its 2gb 250gb. Would pulling the 1 ram disc out make it function passed the pw screen or need a whole different ram disc to stuff in there is just one screw plate underneath the screen.

I was gifted it so id like to try get it running apple support also has a method od having it connected to the internet by ethernet cable then trying the same above methods for online app reset. It should still have the original o/s disc installed the side slot. Erase all data then reinstall imac o/s
thru system recovery screen.

These are the only screens it shows however it only shows the apple logo and roud revolving O loading in the one photo unless i hold alt on power on it shows macintosh hd a globe and a loading bar that takes longer to load before getting to a pw screen.

imacA1224 (1).jpgimacA1224 (7).jpgimacA1224 (6).jpgimacA1224 (5).jpgimacA1224 (2).jpgimacA1224 (3).jpgimacA1224 (4).jpg

Apple chat may not be as familiar as this is an older model.

Attachments

• imacA1224 (8).jpg
    imacA1224 (8).jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 0