Chappers

I've been told that Apple laptops are much better for design students
like me, who studies Architecture at UNI, than a PC laptop. They say
the graphics are better by far.

However, looking at the specs... the laptops processor speeds are
often double that of the Apple's, with far more memory. It also often
seems you can get much more for your money with a normal laptop than
the more expensive Apple's.

In short, just why are Apple laptops better?

Thanks! Chappers

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Well, as a seasoned PC Desktop user, i would say that apple laptops arent better than normal laptops. As you said yourself, the features of an normal laptop far outweigh that of an apple laptop. Moving onto the comment about apples graphics being better... well, thats not true either, it depends on what graphics you have in the normal laptop. For instance you could have a Radeon mobile9800 pro which is a top end graphics sysytem in your laptop, this would be far better than any apple graphics system.

The thing to remeber is that with Apple you are paying a great deal extra for the laptop to look nice and you are also paying for that little apple logo on the front rather than a DELL logo if you get what i mean.

Basically you have to decide what you want, will you go for a style icon and be a cool kid or will you go for performance and value and be the smart kid. It's up to you........

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Apple's are better though the eyes of an apple user, PC's are better though the eyes of a PC user.

Apples are suppose to have better graphics, yes, but I think windows is quite comparable any more. I do a good bit of art/photo work on both my laptop and main system and they are penty capable. I dont' see how Macs would be much, if any better. Video editing's the same. Premiere Pro can now do many features realtime, even on basic machines.

I don't know how much memory an average mac system NEEDS to run, but yes, they've always had less than PCs. The OS probably requires less as Windows is a bit of a RAM hog... As for speeds, well look at my laptop. It's maybe a month old, and it's only a 1.6GHz. Isn't that pretty close to Mac's speeds? A computer doesn't have to have super fast clockrates to perform operations quickly.

*edit*

Darnit you just beat me :p

Chappers

see... from what i can gather from lo0king at specs... i agree with both of you.

all the computers at my uni are apple pcs or laptops... i jst dnt see y.

i wud imagine all the work 2 b fairly easy to transfer and so on.

i think i'm going to go for a pc laptop (or whatever you call them!) kmaybe spend the same amount as i would on a apple... but get plenty more for my money!

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
I would go for the normal PC laptop.

Reason: I know your all gonna shout at me for syaing this but.... there is a larger support from programs and utilities in a windows environment rather than in the setup of a mac.

When it comes to end results and the need to get a job done quickly and efficiently you need the tools to do it with.......

nexgentec.com

I would not buy a Mac Just Yet...

Apple is no longer using the Power PC Processors but is soon going to use Intel Processors which means lower prices and faster speeds. So either get a PC now or wait and buy a Mac Later. I have a few coworkers who use Mac and I like using Linux both are on a Unix Platform and I have no OS Loyalty to Microsoft. Its not about what others think you should have just beacuse everyone is going to tell you what they are used to using. Go to the apple store and talk to someone use the computers and then decide. Be sure to compare software prices with Windows based systems also Software availability.

Chappers

fair enough i suppose.

its not so much what other people think... more that you lot know more about the technical bits of computers like the operating specs and so on. so i needed your advice.

the general concluaion i get from all your comments are that for now i'd probably be best off gettin a PC laptop and not an apple. the difference is barely comparable and pc's are cheaper!

possibly a good idea to stay with a pc as i know the os already... save valuable learning time!

thanks anyway guys!

Chappers

althoough... how long are we talking for the the Apple macs to start using the intel processors?

with my course starting in spetmber...

Geoff

VIP Member
i woul say go with the pc, tell me something that an apple can do that a windows machine cant do with editing photos or movies. And someone said that once they use intels they will have the same programs, they will have more than now, but they still wont have as many as windows unless they see a huge increase in apple sales. Also, windows machines are cheaper and usually have higher specs.