apple vs vaio

PHATSPEED7x

I have both a acer, and a viao. Both are good laptops. One runs XP, and the other vista. Both seem fast to me. Don't have any experence with mac (other than a linux ran gateway).

nyanyamd

thank you for all the insights.

my boyfriend said that sony is a bit overpriced and hat i can get cheaper one with almost the same specs. (oh my boyfreidn is an electronics engineer that's why i asked for his opinion but he's bias to an apple that's why i'm also asking around)

i'm looking at a laptop with a 14 or 15 inch screen. and since the mac book is only a 13 im thinking twice and the macbook pro is a but pricy here in the philippines. as for budget id like to spend about 80,000 at the most since that is the price of the vaio cr which i was looking at.

Justin

VIP Member
oh. you're filipino too. that's cool.

well, i suggest going to microwarehouse they'll be having a sale soon up to 50% if i remember correctly. pc express have good prices on notebooks too.

tlarkin

VIP Member
i need suggestions on what laptop to buy.

i am currently using windows xp software with an acer aspire.

i plan to change my laptop to either an apple or a sony vaio. my boyfriend would suggest an apple is better cause the vista is still slow.

i'm a physician so my lap top will be more for clerical work and web browsing.

can anyone give me insight on this?

thanks.

It is all about features and benefits. Which features and benefits are you looking for? Portability? Mobility? Hardware specs?

The fact that my Macbook Pro is 1" thick, is a great feature in my mind. I have to haul it around for work and it gets heavy. I was in Chicago all last week for training. I was staying downtown in the loop and my training courses were up north in Lincoln Park area. I had to haul my laptop + equipment (hard drives, thumb drives, mouse, power adapter, cd booklet, etc) which weighs around 50lbs with everything in there. Granted I have a lot of stuff because I work IT, and I think I need it. However, the thin lesser weighing laptops are what I want. I don't want a 17", and I don't want anything over 1" thick nor do I want it to weigh more than 6lbs with the battery. Those are my qualifications.

Some people will say, the sony is way over priced. Compare the size and weight of the sony if that is what you are looking at. A lot of the cheaper PC laptop companies do make similar laptops like Omega mentioned earlier. However, a lot of times those are large and clunky, which defeats the mobility aspect in my view. The Dell laptops are huge and bulky as well as most PC companies.

If you really want to get a PC, I have had great experiences with HP business class. Don't buy their consumer laptops, their business class are way better.

Now, since you said there would be physician work done on this I have to ask are you going to comply with HIPPA? If so, a Unix based OS like Mac OS X would be way more secure and pretty much un hackable, and if you tossed all those medical data files in an encrypted disk image then they would be impossible to get at. Just choose a good password and never forget it.

A laptop is not just about hardware specs. Size, battery life, weight, features, quality, and configurations are all things to consider when buying a laptop. They are a different breed of a desktop because a lot of times you will be hauling it around and you don't want to have a big bulky laptop. That is my personal preference.

ANNR

id like to spend about 80,000 at the most since that is the price of the vaio cr which i was looking at.

U have got the budget so why not take a look at ASUS F8 Series F8P-X2B I now u can't buy it from newegg but it is just an idea.

I just got the same laptop and i am very happy with it. It looks allot better then it is in pictures and it is fast too.

Forget about sony, I was a $ony fan boy for years but now $ony simply sucks. the chances are the pc/laptop case are the only real sony brand. So way pay the over priced item when U can get something else just as sexy?

Kill Bill

U have got the budget so why not take a look at ASUS F8 Series F8P-X2B I now u can't buy it from newegg but it is just an idea.

I just got the same laptop and i am very happy with it. It looks allot better then it is in pictures and it is fast too.

Forget about sony, I was a $ony fan boy for years but now $ony simply sucks. the chances are the pc/laptop case are the only real sony brand. So way pay the over priced item when U can get something else just as sexy?

'' Cons: awful video card<br> had multiple problems with BSOD from awful ATI drivers<br> battery life isn't great for a 14"" screen<br> speakers are fairly quiet<br> leather case (why?) '' OUCH it's home would be in her boy friends house

ilya124

thank you for all the insights.

my boyfriend said that sony is a bit overpriced and hat i can get cheaper one with almost the same specs. (oh my boyfreidn is an electronics engineer that's why i asked for his opinion but he's bias to an apple that's why i'm also asking around)

i'm looking at a laptop with a 14 or 15 inch screen. and since the mac book is only a 13 im thinking twice and the macbook pro is a but pricy here in the philippines. as for budget id like to spend about 80,000 at the most since that is the price of the vaio cr which i was looking at.

I don't really like macs, but for what you are going to be using the laptop, i would probably say toshiba or dell.

ANNR

Warning, warning, long long long post

'' Cons: awful video card<br> had multiple problems with BSOD from awful ATI drivers<br> battery life isn't great for a 14"" screen<br> speakers are fairly quiet<br> leather case (why?) '' OUCH it's home would be in her boy friends house

OMG Kill Bill, Your input are just like the feedback at neweggs. Your not the person that left that feed back are U? because anybody with their clear mine can tell that person did not do any research before he/she purchased it.

If your had not owned this laptop, your are going out of your way to give faults information, and I don't see the point.

Whats wrong with Leather case? Its one of the things that makes it stand out from others and it is also one of the reasons that makes that laptop freaking sexy. Beside, The pictures clearly shows the leather surface. if your surprised by it, then it just proves, you didn't do any research and u only have your self to blame.

Did u even consider what she needs and what she is using it for?

I think U should Have just advice her to get a laptop that has a 8800GT with dual slot cooler. I am sure she will be play crysis during the operations.

what the hell did the BSOD came from? did u uninstall the ATI driver? GO ahead uninstall the catalyst if u don't want it but dude, U must have uninstalled everything. If u did, what where u thinking? The laptop came with the latest driver from ATI. Its an ATI card and it needs ATI driver. The chances are u gonna end up downloading another driver from ATI site and there is not gonna be any difference, since the driver is latest in that ASUS.

What do u mean the battery life is bad? I get almost 3 hours in battery saving mode. Lets see you get another laptop with same Spec and a 6cell battery and compare it.

The speaker can be better but dude, its a laptop speaker, what do u expect from that price range?

Lots people seems to like dell XPS now a days, But hey, lets take a look at their entry lvl XPS, This ASUS can kick the crap out of it penny per penny

O ya. I though that foolish person who left the feedback at neweggs was the best, I got a kick out of it when I read it last night. DUDE, U DOES NOT DESERVE TO OWN THAT ASUS(directed at the feedback person >.<). Lets hope he pick up an XPS next time, I am sure he/she is going to be happy with it.