ASUS Monitor display flashing on and off

Dart77

Hi -- I know there must be something about this display problem here in this section as there is 953 pages on monitors, but using Search, is not giving any results (eg it won't accept the words "on" "and" or "off"), "Flashing", gives no results etc. That's just as an aside but I have tried to search...

Anyway, does anyone with experience in display problems know if this is an indication of my monitor dying?

It's about 7 years old, an ASUS HDMI 24 inch. Last few days it has started flashing on and off at approximately (fairly regular) 1 second intervals. It started just a few flashes, now it goes for almost a minute before it stops. It only seems to start doing this when it's woken up from being auto shut down by the screen saver/power saver.

I doubt it's the video driver or the NVIDEA (GeForce), because cycling the power button at the monitor seems to have an effect sometimes, either stops it or at least causes a pause in the flashing.

Thanks for any advice...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Easiest way to figure this out is to try using a different monitor that you know is working, borrow one from someone is you have to just to diagnose. IT could be the monitor, the cable, or video card in computer. Start with a different monitor and see what happens. My guess is that its the monitor starting to die.

Dart77

Thanks for your reply - and it's a good idea but easier said than done for me as I don't know anyone with a computer around here. I did have an even older LG with DVI input (I'm using a DVI cable) but that display was playing up, not sure why I even kept it, I tried to get that going but it's going in the bin . Now all I have done is swapped the DVI cable with a new HDMI cable and the problem is still there. And after it stops flashing on and off for a few minutes, now I have noticed that the display brightness has dimmed a little.

So it's off to get another monitor. Thanks again for your reply.