ASUS motherboard help

kdfresh09

i know alot of you out there are going to disagree, but its true, since i am running one of these....http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=924829&CatId=7005
with a 350 watt power supply that came with a emachines computer. its been running for almost a year and a half, with no problems, although the emachins power supply has 2 x 12v rails with 14a on one and 15a on the other. (the power supply the OP has currently is not worth risking though since the amperage is so low) this card isnt bad as far as performance for a low to mid level gaming computer....just wanted to let the op know that if he isnt going for a hard core or even high end gaming machine upgrade, then he dont need to spend $50+ on a power supply. a corsair 430 watt, or even a cooler master or antec power supply for around $35 would work just fine with anything up to say a gtx 550ti, since that card only pulls a max of 115 watts.

Risc

That card says it is recommended to go 300W or greater though *@ the bottom*.

In the long run, if buying a new PSU and then a graphics card will help my PC in the longer run or perhaps give it a longer and or safer lifespan, I think I should be safe about my decisions and just upgrade the PSU first (I noticed that the fan in the PSU sometimes goes really slow and they are extremely clean and unclogged anyways), unless grading PSU doesn't help my PC from things like overheating etc etc?

I am a complete novice on this, so I have no idea what way to take. :eek:

I am willing to update PSU and then my graphics card. Unless the wiser decision would be to buy a whole new PC, then I would have a lot more saving money to do before I could do it (and of course 450+ PCs are practically impossible for me). :(

kdfresh09

right, thats saying that for the entire system, WITH that card included, its recomended you have 300 watts or more for your power supply. not 300 watts for the card alone. but your current power supply is pretty bad as far as quality. this one is pretty good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

as well as this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026 (id choose this one over the other since its a single rail, with 28 amps

either one of these will give you enough to upgrade your graphics card to a gtx 560, which uses 150 watts and 12.5 amps (you will need to use the 4 pin molex to 6 pin pci-e adapter that comes with the card since both of these power supplies only have 1 pci-e connector, and some cards require 2 connectors)....but the amperage and power is sufficient, and will ensure more safty with your computer as a whole.

Last edited:

Risc

And both of those have 430W?

So if I upgrade to one of those power supplies, I can then get a graphics card as long as it doesn't require 450W+, right? Will those fit in my PC's casing?

kdfresh09

there arnt too many cards that require 400 watts, and those that come close would be hundreds and hundreds and hundreds, $500+ of dollars....dont forget, when a card says that a "x" amount of wattage is required, it is meaning for the ENTIRE computer, ALL the components, not just the video card....so if it says "350 watt power supply minimum", it means that card should be put into a computer that has at least a 350 watt power supply, so it can power all the components, INCLUDING the video card. and yes, those that i linked to will fit in your case. any atx power supply will, since your case is an atx type case.

Risc

The ATX case is on a PC I am not using (the motherboard is fried). Currently, I'm using a smaller black one with a glowing blue power button on it. There are no stickers or anything, so I cannot check what my case is.

kdfresh09

is the smaller case laid out like the bigger on....but just a little smaller, or is it ALOT smaller....look at the back and where your power supply is on the case your using....now look at the bigger case. does the spot where to power supply look the same as far as the cut out where it goes and the holes where the mounting screws are....if so then your good...personaly, id use the bigger case anyways....just pull out everything in it, and put whats you the small case into the big case....thats assuming its a atx case as well.....the bigger case is a "mid tower atx case"....your smaller on could be a "micro atx case", which will fit your powersupply and other components the same....but if your current case is a "itx" case, then the power supply in it will be different.....wait a minute....you have already shows us a picture of your power supply...it is an atx style....the ones i linked will work just fine in your current case....DONE

kdfresh09

yeah they are the same....all the links that have been given to you in this thread will fit in your current case. also, like i said, id get that corsair cx430. itll be great for the price, and will allow you to power a card UP TO, but NOT exceeding the nvidia 560ti(not the 448 version), or an AMD HD6870. any card higher than those 2 you will need to get something with more amperage and wattage.

it would help to know your cpu model, as well as amount of ram..(how many sticks), and how many hard drives and cd/dvd burners you have. also, is this going to be a pc that you will keep for a while still, or will you maybe upgrade to a new motherboard and cpu, ram in the near future?...if you dont plan on upgrading your main platform(motherboard), then id say your golden with that cx430

Last edited:

Risc

Maybe I'll buy a new PC in the future, but for now I am going to keep this PC. Well if a stronger card than that one would run my stuff and its below 100$, I won't mind getting it. I don't expect to make my PC run like a God pc, of course. :)

How can I check CPU? As for RAM, I have two sticks in the computer, completely full. Two hard drives, Ubuntu (164GB) and Windows 7 (500GB). I have one burner in, an Asus one.

Risc

So if I update to one of those power supplies you listed, would my only graphics card option be the GTX 560, or are there any graphics cards other than that one I could buy that would work with the power supply and my mother board (P5L-MX)?

Also, I think I found my CPU. I checked within Windows 7, and this is what it says:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00ghz 3.00ghz
Installed Memory (RAM): 2.00GB
System type: 32-bit Operating system

kdfresh09

alright man....maybe you should go through and reread all the post in this thread so far....there are hundreds of different cards....from a low end 6200 gt thats 4 years old to 7970 which is new and high end....from $15 to $4000....a gtx 560ti is not the only one that will work with said psu....that is the highest card that you can run on said psu....LIKE I SAID....ANYTHING UP TO THAT CARD WILL WORK WITH SAID PSU....check out newegg.com and look through there video cards.....the higher the price the more powerful they are which means the more power they need to run....cap it at a gtx560ti or 6870....and anything under those cards will work...LIKE I SAID>>>>>DUN>>>DONE

Risc

You said "up to that card", assuming I can tell when a card is below the said card or above the said card you listed. I have never done this before, so I did not know all of this stuff. I apologize for inconveniencing you with my questions.

kdfresh09

its not an inconvienience at all....i enjoy helping others when they need it...so long as they help themselves as well....you could easily google "what video card can i run on a cx430".....or "max graphics card with a cx430"...or similar

cabinfever1977

You can also read the power supply requirements for each card before buying one and see if it matches the power supply that you have or is going to get.