Asus P8Z77-V LX, Intel Core i5 2500k Problems?

James_1989

Hi all,

Just completed my first build with the advice of a friend, and two things have stumped us. The build is as follows:

Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard
intel Core i5 2500k processor
Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue HDD
and power supply, fans, etc.

As of yet, no graphics card. This is because we were both under the impression that the motherboard and processor would be able to handle HD graphics, so long as things don't get too intensive. As it currently stands, they don't support the Windows Aero feature... I had decided that I would try without a graphics card first as I'm not a massive gamer. The decent processor and RAM is for modelling (I get sick of waiting for Matlab on my rickety old laptop...)

Has anyone else had this problem, or know the cause or how it can be rectified?

On a (possibly) unrelated note, another thing I'm interested in is how to use the GPU boost on the motherboard. Currently, with the switch flicked on, the computer doesn't boot, despite the 500 W power supply... This worries me a little, but thought I'd ask if there was something that I needed to change in the bios before worrying about whether it's a hardware issue.

spirit

Staff member
What make/model power supply do you have?

Have you installed the drivers for the Intel HD Graphics? Because I know for sure the HD 3000 graphics on the 2500K support Aero because before I got my 5870 I was using the i5's graphics. You may need to go into Personalization and set Aero from in there, it may not be enabled by default once you've installed the drivers.