athlon xp 3400+ cooling for athlon xp 3200+?

beers

Staff member
Do you mean Athlon 64? There was no Athlon XP 3400+.

Socket A and 754/939 had different mounting mechanisms.

Goldman

In this ad for a fan and heatsink it says Athlon XP 3400+;

"A brand new Rosewill Hyper Silence CPU Cooler (RCX-Z100R) for the AMD Socket-A, aka 462, Athlon XP up to 3400+. This is the best Socket-A CPU cooler around. It's been discontinued, so if you need one for your legacy Socket-A system, you better get it before they're gone for good. "

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rosewill-R...d=111664426834&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Maybe its a typo? Ive been looking for a fan for my old Athlon XP 3200+ for quite some time so maybe the one in the ad will do the trick but i have to be sure its going to fit the chip.

beers

Staff member
Should work if it specifically references socket A.

I haven't had one of those since high school when they were new :p

Goldman

Ive had about three Athlon XP chips over the past 15 years. Its the 3200+ that has the cooling problem.

Goldman

If you look at the ebay ad and look through the pictures of the fan and heatsink you will see it says 3400+ on the box.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Sure it doesn't say 3200? That's the fastest XP I've ever heard of. Does it show the die on the top, as in it has no heat spreader, if so its a XP. The Athlon 64 3400 had heat spreaders.

19-103-421-01.JPG

vs.

DCP_7098.JPG

beers

Staff member
I think he means that he owns the 3200+ but the box of the heatsink indicates 3400+.

Socket A will match Socket A so the HSF should fit/function. The other Barton XPs had similar TDP so really most of anything will work. How high of an OC do you have on that 3200?

Goldman

I think he means that he owns the 3200+ but the box of the heatsink indicates 3400+.

Exactly.

Socket A will match Socket A so the HSF should fit/function. The other Barton XPs had similar TDP so really most of anything will work. How high of an OC do you have on that 3200?

So you reckon the heatsink and fan advertised in the above link will fit onto an XP 3200+ ???

Theres no overclocking on my 3200 which btw are known for overheating problems.