ATI 9800 xt, pro, aiw?

at first i was considering a 9800 xt and then pro and after further reading i've been considering the 9600 xt

well i'm basically looking for a card that can last me for a while because my fx 5200 dissapoints me and won't play doom 3, halo decently

well wat are your recommendations as far as the price and gameplay

ZER0X

VIP Member
9600XT is cheaper and still a great card, it will run DOOM 3 fine and Halo Excellent

9800XT Higher Budget card Exellent card, It will run DOOM 3 Great and Halo Magnificent

Watzzupp

i myself have a 9800PRO and its kick ass, my dad has a 9600PRO and it also kicks ass. As far as i know the 9600xt is just a glorified pro-w/256mb and increased speed.
I can run pretty much any game(if there was a game i couldnt play itd be because of my 4x AGP restriction)on my 2 ghz machine

In the end the 9800 xt would cost u a fair bit - Pro would cost a fair bit 2. in fact i think i paid bout 400 bucks for it

Its a hard pick but i would never let go of my 9800PRO it KICKS ASS as i hav already stated----Good Luck----DEZZAR(Watzzupp)

with my fx 5200 i've been able to run doom 3 with bits of lag every so often but after turning all graphix settings to a record low... i'm able to play the game.... but mea...

as far as halo.... i've turned it all down and it still lags... probably because i have a pirated version and i'm unable to update it (heard halo has problems with sp2)

well so far i'm leaning toward 9800 pro.. which prob cost around 300... hopefully by christmas i can afford the card..... well i can afford it nwo just hoping the price will go down after they sell more of those x800's woot to those x800's...

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
9600XT is cheaper and still a great card, it will run DOOM 3 fine

Have to say I wouldn't say just fine at all. K I've just upgraded from a 9600Pro which we all know is not much worse then the 9600XT and when I played doom3 on my Athlon XP 3000+, 1gb pc-2700, Radeon 9600Pro the game was slow. It was bad enough that just withing a minute or two of playing the game I would feel disoriented. My refresh rates set fairly high and my system ran as good as it could so it comes down to the video card not performing.

You will be able to play games such as doom3 from begining to end on high settings but it wont be a very fun experience. It's great for most games set on high settings It did slow down on splinter cell panora tommorrow alot also. If you buy the 9600XT then be prepared to turn down settings in newer games or go with the 9800Pro/XT.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Have to say I wouldn't say just fine at all. K I've just upgraded from a 9600Pro which we all know is not much worse then the 9600XT and when I played doom3 on my Athlon XP 3000+, 1gb pc-2700, Radeon 9600Pro the game was slow.

That could of been slow coz you had everything Jacked up to the MAX, it can run the Graphics on Medium-High But I don't think it can handle Ultra.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
That could of been slow coz you had everything Jacked up to the MAX, it can run the Graphics on Medium-High But I don't think it can handle Ultra.

Oh ya of course :).. ah heck I mentioned he could turn everything on high and run the game straight through basicly the card will run it's that good. Now on medium it obviously ran better but this was still not acceptable. it's actualy what I played the game through on and it was slow. It's all good :).. I just figured he'd be doing himself a favour if he got the 9800pro/xt which he was originaly considering because i'm sure he'd get much better performance for his $.

after closer speculation of ati products i keep seeing the 9800 pro saphire and it seems to be cheaper and a i was wondering if n.e body had n.e comments on them...

but if spend 100 dollars more i canget a x800 ...

oh the dilema can someone help me out

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it seems to be cheaper and a I was wondering if n.e body had n.e comments on them...
Its not that Sapphire is cheaper per se ... its that ATI branded parts are just so much more overcharged... same applies to some of the other brands using ATi chips :)

but if spend 100 dollars more I canget a x800 ...
Or spend $50 more and geta 6800GT ....

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
"High" at what resolution??

1152x864

I'm not trying to knock the card, it's actualy a great card but still more of a budget card and the guy wants to play doom3 so if he where to go with ATI then the 9800Pro or higher is Recommended.

Also as I said I tried all settings and resolutions and a game such as doom3 even if it does look OK (not great as everyone says) at lower resolutions it's still dissapointing and not overly enjoyable :)..

cjborton

Hey, I've been looking to get an ATI 9800 Pro but I'm not sure whether to get 128mb or 256mb. I'm not sure what the benefit of more memory is in a video card. I have 1024mb of memory in my box so would it be just fine getting the 128mb?
Thanks

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Either would be a great card.. I've read that the 128 models where a bit faster but I'd go for the 256 because that's what's going to count when you start cranking up the resolution and the details.