B550 GAMING EDGE FREEZES BOOTING WINDOWS FORM USB

BTAYLO92

Good Evening,
I've recently just completed my first computer build. The computer turns on and I can access the bios which shows everything is working fine,
But for some reason everytime I try and boot windows from a USB it gets to the blue windows logo and freezes.
My specs if it helps
Ryzen 5600x
B550 Gaming edge
1060 3gb oc
16gb corsair vengance 3200mhz
I've read numerous forums and just wondering if anyone has any tips.
Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure its a good usb drive? It's also possible that when building the pc that there may have been some metal from the I/O plate in the back that may have entered the usb port and shorting it out.

BTAYLO92

I have tried 3 different sticks now and they all do the same. They start flashing as if they are reading then stop when the windows logo comes up. The i/o plate was pre attached, could it still short?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The i/o plate was pre attached, could it still short?
The I/O plate is never preattached on a custom build. It will look similar to this and will come in plastic in the motherboard box.

Since this is your first build, i'm sure something is wrong with it. You can try taking the motherboard out of the case and verifying that way. You still have to hook up the case wires to the motherboard to test. If it works correctly out of the case then you know its shorting out somewhere.

beers

Staff member
The I/O plate is never preattached on a custom build.
There's a few boards with integrated IO shield now on the market, fairly common on higher end X570 boards. It's an emerging trend. Here's a specific example: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10#kf

Pretty sure OPs board already has it attached as well.

Did you set things like XMP in BIOS? Where did you obtain the 1060? You could also try one stick of RAM at a time or use different slots to rule out memory module or mobo/cpu RAM dependencies such as slot or IMC channel.

BTAYLO92

There's a few boards with integrated IO shield now on the market, fairly common on higher end X570 boards. It's an emerging trend. Here's a specific example: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10#kf

Did you set things like XMP in BIOS? Where did you obtain the 1060?
Hi. Yeah set the xmp in bios. I ended up taken it to a computer shop to see if they could get to the bottom of it. Turns out the motherboard is faulty, and kept shorting evrytime i tried loading from the USB. Luckily didn't charge anything as he couldn't repair it

beers

Staff member
and kept shorting evrytime i tried loading from the USB
A short would be constant. You can disprove this theory by using a USB 2.0 header such as the front panel, but it sounds like he just gave up.

You should be able to RMA the board at least.

DavidG

can you clarify, how are you trying to make a windows bootable USB installer?. The usual way is on a working computer, download and run windows media creation tool from here.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO#
you need a blank 8GB flash drive and create a bootable installer. If you are trying to boot off a USB with windows 10 preinstalled, windows does not allow booting off an external device without some specific hacks first.

Last edited: