backup configs for 36gb raptor drives...

mikelx21

I just recently purchased two WD 36gb 10k raptors to put in a Raid 0, but I heard that data striping was risky if you didnt have some kind of way to back them up in case of drive failure...I was wondering what kind of drive configurations (when adding a third HDD) are possible. For example, is there a way to have the raid array mirrored onto the 3rd HDD? (I dont know if that is considered a raid 0+1), and if so, how do I do that? I am willing to invest in another 80gig which should be enough to cover it...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
RAID3
- Min 3 drives to implement
- Very high read and write performance
- Single disk failures do not noticeably affect performance
- An efficient setup as all parity is stored on a single disk
- With this setup, data is split onto multiple disks (much like RAID0) and parity is written to a dedicated drive

RAID 4
- Min 3 drives to implemnent
- Very high read performance, write performance not so great
- An efficient setup as all parity is stored on a single disk
- Similar to RAID3, parity is stored on a dedicated drive however parity is generated from the blocks rather than the stripes

RAID5
- Min 3 drives to implement
- Drives are all striped as per RAID0 and parity is split into each drive such that any given drive does not store parity for itself
- Extremely high read performance, above average write performance
- Since the parity is stored on the drives, the more drives, the more efficient
- Probably the best all-around RAID setup

RAID6
- Same as RAID5 except instead of a single parity entry, there are two parity entries written to each drive which gives the array the ability to handle multiple simultaneous drive failures
- Requires min 3 drives to setup (N+2)
- Extremely redundnat

Id probably reccomennd you hunt down a RAID5 card as you probably wont find controllers for the others as they are mostly for SCSI setups. Hope that clears up some things

mikelx21

In general...how long should setting up a raid 0 take including a fresh install of windows XP (with WD 36gb raptors)? Also, seeing as how winXP requires you to "activate" the software, should I run into any problems with installing XP on the new raid 0 array with the same cd key?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Should take roughly the same time it takes to install without the RAID array ... maybe save a minute here and there

2. You shouldnt have any problems as your license is per computer/user