Bad psu Since 2010 ?

DanielSan

Have I inadvertently been using an Un reliable psu since 2010 inside the first machine I built? I have a cooler master 650w gx inside my cm 690 case.. I bought it because of good reviews I read on ebuyer at the time.

However since then I've learned more about the tech side of things and some key points tell me it might be a bad unit.
1) I've read bad reviews everywhere since 2010 after I bought it.
2) it's non modular which sucks
3) I don't think it's the 80 plus bronze version. I belive that revision or vrsion wasnt availible in 2010? Can anyone verify? Here's part number rc692kka31104300372.
4) When I overclock my i7 930 I get stable temps on it at higher speeds but my pc will crash and revert back to stock?
5) everyone tells me and everywhere I read says to avoid cm psu's and that they are all bad..... and to only use cm for cases.

Be honest with me. And is there any way to test my psu without any equipment etc?
I want to upgrade my machine soon with more ram and a new gpu soon and I think I need a new psu first from a very reliable brand with good testimonials. Thanks

*edit*...update. My psu is definetley not the bronze version as this was released post 2011 and I've compared pictures to be certain. Now what? Should I just go and buy a new psu?

My card is powering an evga x58 ftw3 with a stock i7 930 and a palit gtx 460 1GB. But I'm looking to upgrade.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Even so, the psu is 5 years old and if you assume something is up with it then replace it and see what happens. However, do you have any friends that you can borrow their psu from to test before buying a new one? The higher end Coolermaster psu's are decent units but any power supply can be bad from the beginning. Look on the power supply sticker and see if this is the full model number.

RS-650-ACAA-D3

DanielSan

Even so, the psu is 5 years old and if you assume something is up with it then replace it and see what happens. However, do you have any friends that you can borrow their psu from to test before buying a new one? The higher end Coolermaster psu's are decent units but any power supply can be bad from the beginning. Look on the power supply sticker and see if this is the full model number.

RS-650-ACAA-D3
Why? is that model known to be bad?

DanielSan

Possibly man but that's on my psu itself although it did come as a bundle so...not sure

Can't find anything on it except what I've previously posted. Think I'm going to go with a corsair fully modular rm unit either 550 or 650 thanks guys.