batch converting files

timbo59

Does anyone know of some quick and easy way to batch over 1,000 music files and change the file type? I just went through a laborious process of recovering a pile of data from an external HDD that died on me in the middle of a data transfer. Took a while, but I finally managed to recover most of the missing files, but they're in a folder where they've all been marked as .chk files. Marking them all again as .mpg files will take hours and hours of work - does anyone know if there's a quick way I can highlight the folder and get some program to to re-badge all the content from .chk to .mpg? It would sure save me a lot of work - and a sore wrist! They don't need to be processed - just have the file type changed. Alter three letters, and the files are back as good as new.

strollin

If you're sure all of the .chk files should be renamed to .mpg then open a command prompt and navigate to that folder. Once in the folder type "rename *.chk *.mpg" (no quotes) and press ENTER. This command will blindly rename every file in the folder ending with .chk to .mpg.