Been here before, but for real this time (Build Plan)

epidemik

Active Member
Well, thanks for the help with my last build...due to timing of vacations, paychecks and parents wanting debt payed off, I wasnt able to go through with my last build.

But, my mom didnt seen to have a problem with me buying a computer now so i figured I'd start looking at parts again. Unfotunately, the budgets down to around 500 (ouch >.<). Good news, I dont need HD, Case, OS, Keyboard + Mouse and monitor (for now). Heatsink will come sometime in august.


Heres the plan. I tried to color code it (the more redish, the more unsure i am of the part i chose. Green means im pretty sure thats what i want):

CPU: E7200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052
Pretty sure this is the CPU I want. Hoping to overclock it a good bit.

MOBO: GIGABYTE EP35-DS3L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337
I've heard good things from friends about this board. Its a good overclocker right?

GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD3870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125086
A little sketch here. Thats a cheaper 3870...is that bad? Never heard much (neither good nor bad) about Gugabyte graphics cards-how are they? Is it worth another $20 to get the diamond?

RAM: G.Skill 2GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
Bummed im only getting 2GB but I'm on a budget. If you can find good 4GB for around $50, id be stoked but i didnt see any (has ram gotten more expenisve :( ).

PSU: Thermaltake Purepower 500W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052
Pretty clueless as far as PSUs go. This one got bunches of good reviews on newegg...

DVD: LiteON IDE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106228
Went ide on purpose, its gotta hook up to current comp first so i can burn a few DVDs. I dont use DVD drive much. How much speed is lost in IDE vs SATA?

Total is 480ish for those of you interested (not including MIR)

Thanks,
Jake
 
Last edited:
There was also a saphire gpu for a little cheaper but seems weird that the HD3870 is so cheap. IS it just comming down cause the new cards are coemming out?
 
Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably go with the PSU daisymtc recommended (OCZ is supposed to be good right). The ram daisymtc posted also looks good and if i get the rebate, i may go back and get another one.


Im looking into the 9600GT, seems like it performs better than the HD3870 based on some benchmarks and reviews that ive seen. So would that be the way to go for a video card in the 120$ price range?
 

Hmm, that looks really good.
Does that mobo oc good?
(lol, that seems like bad grammar)

Never heard of Zotac...are they good?
Got good reviews..
 
Last edited:
Back
Top