Beeping Error

lcole

Just a little while ago, my computer just froze then when I restarted it but recieved 1 short beep and 1 long beep then it shuts down. Having a similar problem before I suspected it was the memory. So I pull out the memory, clean the connecters then placed them back into the motherboard but recieved the same error code. Then I went onto the video card but it was firmly secure in the motherboard and checked all connectors. Still having the same problem.
Specs on the computer.
(About 2 1/2 years old)
AMD 2200+
HDD 160 GB (month old)
1GB DDR PC2100 Memory
ATI 9500 Radeon
Dragon Ultra Plat. Motherboard

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Try and find what bios model you have and look for beep codes. Usally, they are all the same for specific brands. I suspect yours will use the award beep codes, but I don't know what that board is right off...

lcole

Looked through the manual and didn't see anything about beep codes. The only thing in there is about the CPU fan being connected CPUFAN1 if there are 1-2 beeps, which it is and is still beeping. There is no code for this, looked on a website. I have taken parts from my other computer and replaced them, except for the motherboard and processor, and it still beeps.

lcole

Found out it was two problems that were occuring at the same time. The memory wasn't seated and the CPU fan went bad. The beep codes wouldn't be consistant so it threw me off.

But now I'm having a problem with Windows XP booting ever since these recent problems. I was able to boot to the desktop and surf the net for alittle while before I opened a game when it locked up. Now it will freeze when I boot up Windows XP logo or when I try and open a program in safe mode (if I'm lucky to get it in safe mode) it will lock up.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this is a faulty motherboard. I had something happen like this when I first built the computer and when I replaced it, the computer did fine. These problems are the first I've had in the 2 1/2 years I've had the computer. If anyone can verify my assessment of the problem that would be great. I figured some of the parts would be wearing down soon since I've used it almost 24/7, even if I wasn't there I had it doing something all the time. Thanks.

lcole

Any special way of doing that or just try a different stick of memory from a different computer?
Thanks for the response.