WIndows 10 Best Pre-Deployment Software

mxbx64

I get a lot of PCs that have been put through their paces. I clean them out (dust, etc), and I wipe or replace their drives, and memory if needed, and re-deploy them. I would like to find a software that I can use to run and stress test all of the components to make sure the PC will run for the foreseeable future, and also I want a software to check and update all of the drivers if needed. Obviously since I deal with so many, I would like to avoid having a cost per computer for this software, but I am open to that if it is my only option. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. In both cases, having these applications run from USB instead of needing to be installed would be great as well. I appreciate any feedback!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There really are no good programs that will update the drivers, pretty much most of them include malware, you should always go to the manufactures website to get them. Hirens boot cd PE will give you the usb functionality to run hard drive diagnostics and memory checks. You'll actually need other programs to verify gpu, cpu and system stability.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Your best bet is to just test the disk and then wipe and install Windows from scratch. Install all the drivers and then run sysprep to wipe the user settings and display the out of box experience on next startup.

After you run sysprep have it shut down and then just take an image of the machine (using Acronis or something similar) on an external HDD and then restore the image to all the other machines. This works best if they are all the same machine type.

mxbx64

Yes, that's what I've been doing. Except the Acronis part. I sysprep (generalize, oobe, shutdown) then just copy the drive using AOMEI or EaseUS. But I have to maintain 2 drives to copy (1 SSD & 1 HDD, then I copy them to either GPU or MBR drives depending which one the system wants) to have the best luck booting on different machines. I would LOVE to do a PXE server to load them all over the network, but I have yet to find a home grown solution that is easy enough.

I'm learning stuff along the way here too. Like copying from SSD to HDD and vice versa may or may not work when you go to boot the machine.

Darren

Staff member
Ninite.com might be useful too if you're trying to preload them with any freeware. I worked in a repair shop that specialized in refurb stuff and you're pretty much describing my old job.

Windows handles most drivers on its own these days. I only ever manually would get audio drivers and GPU drivers if it was a dedicated GPU, assuming Device Manager looks clean.

We also used this as a general stress tester. https://www.jam-software.com/heavyload