Best security camera??

Pck21

Hey guys I have a problem with some stupid kids egging my new house. I was going to paintball them but I don't want to go to jail. So I was wondering what the best security camera for outdoor use would you all recommend? I need it to hook up to my computer and watch the video in real time but I can also hook up an old tv to it I suppose. And color would be a plus. So what do you all think? Thanks!

Dave

jp198780

yeahh, i dont think you would go 2 jail, just what 4 em 2 come around, and shoot the crap out of em.

magicman

VIP Member
Lol don't listen to the two guys above. Sure they may deserve it, but I believe in the eyes of the law it's classed as assault, so you're right to not want to paintball them.

There are countless cameras on the market, and it's hard to know what's the 'best', what I will ask is do you need it to rotate/move (controlled by pc), and do you want a zoom function? Also do you want wireless transmission, or are you prepared to trail the cables through your house? These things will help narrow the search down.

Pck21

Haha yea they do deserve it but I know for a fact that if you paintball someone they do see it as assault with a deadly weapon. Kinda weird but apparently people have actually died from people freezing paintballs and shooting people. Not a good thing.

However to answer your questions magicman, I don't need it to rotate, I'd like it to be hooked up to my PC, a small zoom function, preferably wireless but I'm not set on it. What would be my best options?

Thanks to everyone for replying!

magicman

VIP Member
From the very sparse description of that one above, it probably has an RCA video cable to plug directly into a VCR or TV etc. Definately some sort of analog signal. To capture footage using a pc, you'll need a video capture card (something like the Osprey 100, although there are much cheaper ones available). Having said that, that specific one has no zoom to speak of.

Bearing in mind you pay a lot for the wireless aspect and pc connectivity, you may consider getting something like this. It's an encrypted wireless 802.11g camera that you can check on over the internet with a wireless router, it's got a digital zoom (not optical, mind you), and even the capability for a speaker so you can warn the kids to get lost if you wish.

One thing though, for wireless cameras with pc connectivity you're looking at a lot of money ($320.88 -ish for that one). Have you considered putting a fake camera on the side of your house ( a large bullet camera just screwed into the wall)? That'd probably be enough visual deterrent and would be a lot cheaper.

Pck21

magicman said:
From the very sparse description of that one above, it probably has an RCA video cable to plug directly into a VCR or TV etc. Definately some sort of analog signal. To capture footage using a pc, you'll need a video capture card (something like the Osprey 100, although there are much cheaper ones available). Having said that, that specific one has no zoom to speak of.

Bearing in mind you pay a lot for the wireless aspect and pc connectivity, you may consider getting something like this. It's an encrypted wireless 802.11g camera that you can check on over the internet with a wireless router, it's got a digital zoom (not optical, mind you), and even the capability for a speaker so you can warn the kids to get lost if you wish.

One thing though, for wireless cameras with pc connectivity you're looking at a lot of money ($320.88 -ish for that one). Have you considered putting a fake camera on the side of your house ( a large bullet camera just screwed into the wall)? That'd probably be enough visual deterrent and would be a lot cheaper.

Hmm ya that looks pretty good. Wonderful job on finding that! I've been looking for something like for a while now. Ya I was looking into buying a dummy camera but I'd rather catch these little punks in the act so we I can get them kicked out of the neighborhood through the HOA. The price is a little steep for me but I can wait and save for no problem. Can it be used outdoors as well? Thanks again for researching! I appreciate it let me tell ya!

kobaj

VIP Member
magicman said:
Lol don't listen to the two guys above. Sure they may deserve it, but I believe in the eyes of the law it's classed as assault, so you're right to not want to paintball them.

Im not sure where you live, but here in the USA if anyone is on your private property and you have signs posted for them to keap out, you have the legal right to shoot them with whatever gun you want.

magicman

VIP Member
Pck21 said:
Hmm ya that looks pretty good. Wonderful job on finding that! I've been looking for something like for a while now. Ya I was looking into buying a dummy camera but I'd rather catch these little punks in the act so we I can get them kicked out of the neighborhood through the HOA. The price is a little steep for me but I can wait and save for no problem. Can it be used outdoors as well? Thanks again for researching! I appreciate it let me tell ya!
No problem. The camera can almost certainly be used outside no problem, but only really with an external weatherproof enclosure. One that D-link sells for the ethernet model of that camera (DCS-3220) is this one. I'm not sure whether that'd work with the wireless DCS-3220G model, it may be worth emailing D-link if you're interested and see what they recommend. Or the alternative is to maybe get the ethernet version, which is only $235-ish. I really don't know what effect an enclosure would have on the wireless signal, but if you want to save money, then that'd be one route.