Best Security Program for Casual User

PrepVet

I have been slowly sorting through posts here but did not see a near general agreement on “best” security program?

Once I factory reset my POS notebook I want to make sure it wasn’t something I did to near brick it.

Thanks

Agent Smith

Once I factory reset my POS notebook I want to make sure it wasn’t something I did to near brick it.

Can you formulate this sentence better? I don't understand.

Use Bitdefender Free and Sandboxie for your browser. Do not open a magnet link in the "bay" with Sandboxie otherwise the download will be stuck in Sandboxie and you'll have to wait till it's complete before shutting down the browser. Sandboxie is free to use for just the browser. They have a help forum. Learn to use it and you will have greatly minimized polymorphic malware.

Scan your computer with Herdprotect portable, SuperAntiSpyware, TDSSKiller, and Stream Armor. Check out Syshardner portable and Wilders Security forums for more goodies. Check out Free Fixer and research each module with the link they provide. Scan all downloads at Virus Total or use Virus Total Scanner available from the same website that offers Stream Armor. Finally, HijackThis, while oll can still be of use. Use this link to scan the log. https://www.hijackthis.de/en

Agent Smith

best thing to do is go to av-test to see what they rate whats out there.i use avast free and the paid version of malwarebytes and have no problems.a lot depends on your browsing habits tho.
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

You should never run two anti-virus programs at once. They will compete against each other. Also, one should never have to pay for virus protection. Avast can and will mess up your TCP/IP stack. Do an Internet speed test. Now uninstall Avast and do another Internet speed test. Also, Avast has so many annoying pop ups on stupid crap it's unreal.

aldan

as has been said before by many people."malwarebytes is not an antivirus program".dont know where people got the idea it is.my ip advertised speed is 150Mb down and i get that with or without avast.

_Pete_

I have absolutely no idea what a POS notebook is, well I do but I don't care. One thing I do know is that if you listen to this lot you will be trying to keep your computer virus free using anti-malware programs which will not work. I would assume that this computer thing has some sort of operating system and if we knew what that was we might be able to make a better judgment. ALL the anti-virus programs out there are much of a muchness. Paid ones will eat your computer rescources and wont do very much. Free ones will eat your computer resources and wont do very much but at least they are free. If this computer wotsit is using Windows 10 then just go with Windows Defender as an anti virus and Malwarebytes as an anti malware program. Bottom line make sure you back up your important stuff BEFORE you get a virus or malware.

aldan

I was under the assumption that if you bought Malwarebytes it will monitor the system.
yep it does monitor,but as malwarebytes states,is a "complimentary"malware program that works with your av program.the only reason i have the paid version is that i got it years ago for 19.95 lifetime licence.been with me thru a few pcs.
I have absolutely no idea what a POS notebook is, well I do but I don't care. One thing I do know is that if you listen to this lot you will be trying to keep your computer virus free using anti-malware programs which will not work. I would assume that this computer thing has some sort of operating system and if we knew what that was we might be able to make a better judgment. ALL the anti-virus programs out there are much of a muchness. Paid ones will eat your computer rescources and wont do very much. Free ones will eat your computer resources and wont do very much but at least they are free. If this computer wotsit is using Windows 10 then just go with Windows Defender as an anti virus and Malwarebytes as an anti malware program. Bottom line make sure you back up your important stuff BEFORE you get a virus or malware.
really?might wanna check the reviews of both malwarebytes and avast before you go making pronouncements like this without any evidence.

Agent Smith

He might be referring to the fact that polymorphic malware like ransomware can slip though a standard definition-based anti-virus. That's why I mentioned Sandboxie. It will greatly help in that endeavor. Also, a lot of your paid for anti-virus product do come with bloat. Bitdefender Free is not like that at all. I have installed it on all of my relatives computers.