Best Sub $1000 Desktop System These Days?

jh225

New Member
While my home PC still functions (barely) it is time to give it a decent burial. (its a P4 !!)

Looking for a complete system (no printer needed). Really trying to stay in the $750 or so range.

I looked real quick at Dells site, and also at Best Buy. It seems that BB offers a lot more RAM and HD space in lieu of a dedicated video card and dedicated sound.

This will be used by my family (I have a custom laptop) and will just be for internet, download songs to MP3s, make CD's/DVD's, photos, a touch of MS Word/Works.

In other words a cheap fairly basic system (19 or 22" LCD) that will be trouble free.

Also, difference in speed and use between Core 2 duo and a Quad?

Thoughts?
 
If your just looking for a cheap family computer that won't need to run any games, than its probably ok to buy a pre-built, otherwise I'd say build your own. Core 2 Quads are "faster" you could say, they can multi-task better than Duo's just because of the 4 cores vs. the 2.
 
Have you taken a look at building your own? $750 would build a pretty decent system.

I kind of have but I don't know what to put in or what to leave out, and then there's the assembly thing. Is it all plug ad play? I also need an OS and Works.

Care to put together a sample system?
 
Back
Top