BIOS not recognizing SSD

alij2021

Hi, I am new here. I am having a big issue with my SSD. I will try to explain in details as far as possible the troubleshooting steps I did.

So, the issue is, while working on my computer, after 30 minutes or something, it freezes and then gives me a blue screen with a sad icon telling me the Windows has been crash and an error code. Every time I get this, it gives me a different error code. Then, the screen turns black and it says Reboot and select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media and Press any key.

When I get this, I have to press Ctrl + Alt + Del and then I go to the BIOS setting to select a boot media. On the Boot setting, I do not see my SSD name anymore, which is a Kingston. It just says UEFI Hard Drive. Before, it used to name the hard drive but now not. I have also a secondary storage hard disk, Toshiba and his one is fine, I can see its name. But for my SSD it is not showing the name, it just shows UEFI Hard Drive. So, I selected it as first boot device and saved and rebooted, and it gave me another error again.

Then, I chose to Restore All Settings as Default and saved and rebooted, and now it works.

However, after sometime, it crashed again and I have to follow the steps by Restore All Settings to Defaults on BIOS to work back. This is frustrating.

I also switch the SATA cable port to another and same issue.

What I can do for it to solve? As stated, I do not see the name of my SSD anymore on BIOS.

Thank you

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is there is an issue with the ssd. Is this a sata ssd or m.2? What motherboard and is it running an updated bios?

beers

Staff member
Do you get a different device string if you force UEFI mode? Sounds like your board is using CSM for compatibility with legacy BIOS.

OtisThe

To me it almost sounds like your SSD is starting to go bad. I'm curious how full the drive was, how long you've had the computer and drive, and when this issue first began?

Whenever I have severe drive issues, I install Linux Mint on a flash drive and boot into that. Once running Linux, the program Gparted can be used to resize and reformat the drive. Of coarse doing this will delete everything off your drive, but it should make it useable assuming there is not a hardware failure or compatibility issue going on. This method has saved me 2-3 times in the past dealing with various issues.

If you have a newer drive on an older mobo bios, it might be worth looking into a bios update since this can sometimes solve compatibility issues.