Black Acer Screen

harryturtleface

I have an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575. Recently it went dead. I took it apart and fixed it somehow. All I did was take it apart completely and clean out the dust and then reassemble it. Prior to that the computer had never been taken apart or modded. The problem I'm running into however is when the computer finally turned back on the screen was black. Upon further research I found that the LCD was still lighting up but showing no color. The LCD would still be black but you could tell there was a difference in lighting. I've connected it to a Samsung TV via a HDMI cord and it has an output. So far what I've done is completely reinstall windows, update bios and reset the bios to default settings. The computer is fully charged and when I looked inside all ribbon cables and wires seemed to be connected.
If you guys have any idea what could be wrong please drop a comment below.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Either the screen cable isn't fully seated all the way in the connector or something happened during the tear down and reassembly.

harryturtleface

Either the screen cable isn't fully seated all the way in the connector or something happened during the tear down and reassembly.
That what I had originally assumed but all the plugs seem to be fine.
I tried unplugging the cable from both ends but there was still no effect.

It might be a symptom from when it went "dead" originally, was it working fine after you reassembled it or was it always like that after doing the fix?

Darren

Staff member
If you shine a flashlight onto the screen, can you see the display? You said it's still giving light but the rest of what you describe sounds like a dead backlight to me. Does the computer think there are two displays when you are running via HDMI? As in can you "extend" the displays and see both, or does it just show the external screen, from within Display Settings?

Probably fried the screen or the LCD cable in some capacity though when you were tearing it down. Pretty easy to do if you haven't done it before.

harryturtleface

If you shine a flashlight onto the screen, can you see the display? You said it's still giving light but the rest of what you describe sounds like a dead backlight to me. Does the computer think there are two displays when you are running via HDMI? As in can you "extend" the displays and see both, or does it just show the external screen, from within Display Settings?

Probably fried the screen or the LCD cable in some capacity though when you were tearing it down. Pretty easy to do if you haven't done it before.
No, when shining a flashlight on the screen you can't see the display. And from what I've found the laptop only recognizes the external monitor to be the main display. When click Windows Key + P and click through the option nothjng happens to the display. Also, when on Windows Mobility Center it shows that there's no external monitor connected.

Darren

Staff member
You fried your screen when you had it apart I'd guess, or maybe damaged the LCD cable/plug. Not even being detected.

If it's not worth a whole lot, might try it again yourself and make sure everything is seated. Otherwise take it to a shop, although personally the labor/cost to fix the screen probably isn't worth it on that particular model. Screen replacement will run you probably $130 at the very least, likely more.

harryturtleface

You fried your screen when you had it apart I'd guess, or maybe damaged the LCD cable/plug. Not even being detected.

If it's not worth a whole lot, might try it again yourself and make sure everything is seated. Otherwise take it to a shop, although personally the labor/cost to fix the screen probably isn't worth it on that particular model. Screen replacement will run you probably $130 at the very least, likely more.
Thanks for your help. My only question now is how could I have fried it?

Darren

Staff member
Thanks for your help. My only question now is how could I have fried it?
I did laptop repair in a shop for a couple years and probably did 100+ screens in my time there. They say on the back of the LCD it's possible to fry the board on it if you touch it, but I frankly never had that happen and after some experience wasn't as careful with it as I maybe should be.

It's more likely you damaged the LCD cable or didn't get it plugged back in right or damaged the plug. Those are pretty delicate, probably moreso than the screen. I've seen "fried" LCD cables but I use the word fried somewhat generally, just not working is all I mean. Static electricty discharge, particularly in dry winter months, can be a problem that could fry a component.

I had more than a few instances of somebody attempting to "repair" a laptop and then bring it in to me because they made it worse. I've seen a lotta weird stuff people do with laptops, so it's hard to say what exactly happened without seeing it myself. If you're feeling adventurous, find a good disassembly video and try it again.