Black screen after replacing psu

Jester1989123

Hey everybody.

My computer started crashing over and over again. Narrowed it down to my psu.

I replaced the psu and now everything powers up and stays running but the screen is black.

I remember facing an error like this one I was building a computer awhile back and I ended up using an older video card to get it going than. Uninstalled video drivers and rebooted.... I don't have an older video card and was hoping for advice before I went and bought one.

The gpu definitely works cause I have it in a different pc working just fine right now.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Could be video slot itself going out. Do you have a system speaker attached to motherboard to hear bios beeps. That will tell you what's going on.

Jester1989123

I tried a different pci e port and it was the same result. I've got a speaker I'll try. Buying a cheap vodeocard today to test my theory. Hopefully it's not a waste of $50 lol

Jester1989123

I tried both different slots and it's the same result also tried dvga and hdmi on 2 different cards and 2 different slots.

Any other ideas. I got a speaker... somewhere. Just have to find it. Tonight's problem.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try resetting cmos

Unplug power from the power supply
Remove cmos battery on motherboard
Press and hold power button on case for 10 seconds
Wait 10 minutes
Reinsert battery on motherboard
Reconnect power to power supply
Try booting up

Jester1989123

OK I'll give that a shot
Quick question what is this ? Didn't read 0 before the psu swap.

Attachments

• 20231003_165858.jpg
    20231003_165858.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 1

Jester1989123

Just realized my power button doesn't turn off the computer either.... maybe I've missed a wire.... I'll be back to trouble shooting in a few hours.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That code generally means a hardware fault, mobo, cpu, other. Without having other parts to test then its gonna be hard to tell. You might have to take it in and have it diagnosed.

Jester1989123

Read my manual. Found the issue.

There was some leds on my motherboard that tell me issues and my led is "cpu is not detected or failed"

Maybe a cpu swap or does it generally mean more damage than that?

Jester1989123

Well I'm stupid.....

Found a stick of ram wasn't put back in properly after trouble shooting it. Adjusted it and everything is working.....

Hell yeah!!!!

Jester1989123

Well I'm stupid.....

Found a stick of ram wasn't put back in properly after trouble shooting it. Adjusted it and everything is working.....

Hell yeah!!!!
Well I'm stupid.....

Hell yeah!!!!
Shirt lived excitement. Apparently my psu wasn't the problem. Computer just crashed again. Was running kind of slow before crashing.... any ideas. Cpu now?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Take it in to a shop. Curious why the psu was replaced? Did you have a power surge? Are you getting a blue screen or just totally crashing?

Jester1989123

I had an extra psu and that was my suspicion... just wrong lol.

It just crashes. No blue screen.

Runs for like 5 minutes, running not the greatest than crashes. Subsequent starts crash faster making me think it's getting too hot.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It will just shut down if it's getting too hot. Did you build this yourself? Might help to remove it from the case and put it on some cardboard and see how it reacts. Otherwise you have some failing hardware like ram or hdd/ssd.

Jester1989123

OK so I managed to get the computer running long enough to watch the cpu temp. Watched it climb from 65c to 98c before I shut it down. Was likely about to turn off.

It's liquid cooled with 2 fans and a rad. Not sure how to determine it is working.

Fans are spinning. That's all I know.

Attachments

• 20231004_104528_1.jpg
    20231004_104528_1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 3