[BlackHoleTec] Alienware launching Steam Machine with Windows 8.1 this year

Virssagòn

VIP Member
steammachine-5-580-100.jpg

Alienware will be launching its variant of Valve's Steam Machine, called Alpha, this year with a custom version of Windows 8.1, for $549. Valve has delayed then launch of the platform until 2015 but that hasn't stopped Alienware from being ahead of the game. The custom version of Windows 8.1 will integrate with Steam's Big Picture mode and will have the flexibility of upgrading to SteamOS when it launches next year.

Specs:
Intel Core i3 Haswell processor
Custom Nvidia Maxwell-based GPU (2GB dedicated GDDR5 memory)
500GB SATA 3 HDD
4GB of 1600MHz memory
Dual-band Wireless-AC 1x1 with Bluetooth 4.0
HDMI-out, HDMI-in (with pass-through), Gigabit Ethernet, optical audio out, two USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports

Valve isn't ready yet with their own SteamOS... However, Alienware decided to launch its steammachine this year, using W8.1 though.
Critics already said that a steam-machine (no matter what brand) is probably going to be the least profitable products for companies in centuries. Due to the fact that Valve takes all the profit from its online stores, ...

Source:
http://blackholetec.com/main/article/alienware-launching-steam-machine-windows-81-year

Troncoso

VIP Member
Critics already said that a steam-machine (no matter what brand) is probably going to be the least profitable products for companies in centuries. Due to the fact that Valve takes all the profit from its online stores

I don't really see how that's the case. Alienware (and other such companies) sell hardware. They've never made any money off of additional software that is purchased and used on that hardware. Besides the fact that I don't think many people will buy Steam machines, I imagine this will be just as profitable whether they marketed as such as opposed to just saying it's another Alienware machine.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I don't really see how that's the case. Alienware (and other such companies) sell hardware. They've never made any money off of additional software that is purchased and used on that hardware. Besides the fact that I don't think many people will buy Steam machines, I imagine this will be just as profitable whether they marketed as such as opposed to just saying it's another Alienware machine.

Well, it's just the fact that I remember that Alienware itself said that it'll be their least profitable system ever.

"It's going to be very challenging," Frank Azor, general manager of Dell's Alienware division, told The Wall Street Journal. "This will absolutely be the least profitable system we ever sell."
Source

Anyway, with a recent update it seems like they got some more confidence in the case which I missed.
Update 2: Alienware general manager Frank Azor provided the following statement: "Alienware is very optimistic about PC gaming's future and its opportunity to extend to the TV. We have been partners with Valve since the inception of the Steam Machine over 2 years ago. Our decision to invest in developing the purpose-built Alienware Steam Machine, pairing it with incredible performance and pricing it as aggressively as possible has everything to do with how much we believe in this vision and want to see it materialize."

Alienware is selling their machines at a very competitive price according to general manager Azor. The article I posted confirms that. I'd expect an higher price, especially now they decided to run W8.1 on it. SteamOS will be free of charge for the system-builders, so the machines will get even cheaper next year.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really dont see the point in "Steam machines" tbh,You can already build a decent small gaming rig in your own case..then when steam OS comes out use that.

That alienware is going to be overpriced guaranteed. :D

Troncoso

VIP Member
The point of the Steambox is to introduce console gamers (who more often than not don't know how and don't want to build a PC) to PC gaming, while still giving them the familiar gaming environment that they are used to, ie: a couch and TV.

So, basically, Steam is hoping to steal some business from the console gaming market.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
The point of the Steambox is to introduce console gamers (who more often than not don't know how and don't want to build a PC) to PC gaming, while still giving them the familiar gaming environment that they are used to, ie: a couch and TV.

So, basically, Steam is hoping to steal some business from the console gaming market.

Most common people don't know that it exist yet. They'll also need to promote these machines very much before they'll buy it. Why not buying a PS4 like eveyone, it's the safest option for regular gamers.