Blue Ray Players - 4k upconvert

storp

Does 4k upconvert feature even exist for desktop players?
One that writes?

Can anyone make a recommendation?

Last edited:

storp

82-128mbps and up to 100GB disks are still on the way, as well as the optical drives for the 4K format, but current Bluray drives and disks already support this.

Those higher capacity disks - from 50 gb to 100gb - are we talking dvd pre-recorded or writable media?

Wondering if more full screen movies will be made available as a result (as opposed to letterbox)

C4C

Both pre-recorded and writable.

My guess is yes, but you never know because some movies are meant to be viewed in widescreen.

The first 4K Bluray Players (such as your media center) will be available later this year.

I'm actually quite excited even though I don't have the initial investment to get involved in UHD.

storp

I'm excited as well, even though I've come across some info by some that says Blue Ray may not make it.

For example Sony, due to underperforming sales numbers of the disks. They apparently don't have full confidence.

I like what the 4k can do for ordinary disks, it closes the performance gap between normal dvd's and going blue.

- Not such a big decision whether or not to spend the extra funds on disks alone.

Last edited:

C4C

I like what the 4k can do for ordinary disks, it closes the performance gap between normal dvd's and going blue.

- Not such a big decision whether or not to spend the extra funds on disks alone.

My bad for not clarifying, the larger disk size is for Bluray only.. Not sure about 4K on DVD. Seems like it's not likely considering Bluray has revolutionized storage capacity..

PCunicorn

DVDs couldn't handle 4K. It requires to much bandwidth to stream off a disc. Plus, a 4K movie, or even a show, would be way to big for any DVD.

storp

...The first 4K Bluray Players (such as your media center) will be available later this year.

I'm actually quite excited even though I don't have the initial investment to get involved in UHD.
Nice to know, C4C - THX.