blue ray

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Easy on the racial comments
2. Blue Ray isnt all that great. Being essentially a proprietory technique spearheaded by Sony isnt exactly what i'd call convincing :)

backseatgunner

Praetor said:
1. Easy on the racial comments
2. Blue Ray isnt all that great. Being essentially a proprietory technique spearheaded by Sony isnt exactly what i'd call convincing :)

Sorry, I should have entered a <sarcasm></sarcasm.>
I'm part Japanese btw, no racism intended.

jjsevdt

I like the format. It has a lot to offer, but god forbid we accept a change in our comfort zone. They are experimenting on adding more layers and acheive storage un heard of with HD-DVD

TonyBAMF

Why do we need that big of a disk for HD?
I watched Terminator 2 in 1080p (thats progresive not interlace mind you) on 1 DVD in full quality.

ripken2004

blu-ray is up to 80gig now, right? too bad we wont have it for a few years tho, plus it costs thousands, it would be nice to backup my whole hdd on a single disk

TonyBAMF

ripken2004 said:
blu-ray is up to 80gig now, right? too bad we wont have it for a few years tho, plus it costs thousands, it would be nice to backup my whole hdd on a single disk

In years you are looking at Terabytes HDs, so backing up HD's will still requiere multiple disks :(.

NeuromancerWGDD'U

TonyBAMF said:
In years you are looking at Terabytes HDs, so backing up HD's will still requiere multiple disks :(.
1 Terabyte hard-drives are already available. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822155306
(technically it's multiple drives, but they function as one) It'll be years before it's financially viable for personal computers, and even then...come on, who needs 1 tb of storage?

For more info on Blu-ray I highly recommend reading http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20050616/index.html
I believe that now Blu-ray developers are claiming to have 8 layer disks in the labs!:eek: That's approaching 200 GB, ON ONE DISK!

Last edited:

kof2000

believe! there are people that uses that much space. i have around 14TB of hdds spaces used not to mentions the extra dvd and cd discs.

loeakaodas

dciscouts said:
And futhermore, there's the Double-Layer DVD's as well :)
They don't offer enough space and are expensive. Right now DVD-R is the best and cheapest way of storage.

But I just can't wait till Bluray becomes more widespread so prices drop and I can have something that will reduce the TBs of DVDs that I have.

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Blu-Ray disks will additionally require much tougher disk-surface protection (since the data is almost right against the disk surface). The proposed material can be bought for regular DVD disks, but at the hefty price of about 5 USD (per disk, mind you), Blu-Ray will be a bit pricey compared to alternatives.

Last edited: