"boot disk failure"

DOMESTIC

Ok i just got my new harddrive and installed it. Im installing a 250GB WD SATA HD to go along with my 74gb raptor drive. When i went to go boot my computer it said "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". Now, my bios detects both HD's and i even set up a Raid 0 configuration and had the same probelm. I checked the boot priority and had my HD with windows boot first.
Than, i disconnected my new HD and tried booting with just the raptor. I still got the same warning? What does this mean? Did I lose all my data on my HD during the installtation process somehow? What could be the problem here.

p4h8ter

Use only the hdd for windows to boot and go into bios. Also ake sure that one of the drives is set in slave. If both are set as master, it will cause problems.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
can you actually set up a RAID 0 using two vastly different hard drives like you have? i've never seen it before.

seeing as you managed to set up a RAID 0 with both drives you've lost any data you had on you original hard drive, so you there fore need to format and reinstally both your drives. also i would suggest that you keep to two drives separate rather than RAIDing them together

DOMESTIC

Hairy_Lee said:
can you actually set up a RAID 0 using two vastly different hard drives like you have? i've never seen it before.

seeing as you managed to set up a RAID 0 with both drives you've lost any data you had on you original hard drive, so you there fore need to format and reinstally both your drives. also i would suggest that you keep to two drives separate rather than RAIDing them together

:mad: Ya i didnt know that till after I did it. Well that sux.

One quick question though, I heard that if you have 2 different size HDs, it will use the smallest of the two drives. In my Case my Smallest HD is the raptor drive. So does that mean i will basically have 2 74 gb HDs and i will have 126gb of useless HD space (200gb-74 = 126)?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
i dont know about that. ive never heard of it at least. i think it would be beneficial to keep the drives as two separate drives... its also very handy when you come to reinstall

ceewi1

VIP Member
DOMESTIC said:
So does that mean i will basically have 2 74 gb HDs and i will have 126gb of useless HD space (200gb-74 = 126)?
Yes, and you'll also be running both hard drives at the speed of the slower one. In other words, don't do it.

DOMESTIC

yea, I didnt. There both installed now and bios detects both of the HDs. But when i go to my computer, should i see two local disks or just one?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
providing you undone the RAID 0 that you created and reformat the drives windows should detect them seperately