Browser Virus

mike1414

Hey guys. I would appreciate it if you could help me clear out an annoying browser hijack that my dad got on his comp. He managed to ss it

thumbnail.jpg

I wasn't able to run the junkware remover or the other malwarebytes ad prog because theyre discontinued, but my dad ran malwarebytes recently and I ran OTL. Logs are attached. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• OTL.Txt
    162.4 KB · Views: 1
  • mbam-log.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 3

mike1414

Okay thank you I'll run that. It isn't the homepage. It seems to pop up and lock up his browser sporadically and he can't get out of it unless he shuts down the comp. He said it happened when he opened a new tab in the browser. He has to shut down his computer. Will reply with adw log shortly.

mike1414

I think it's likely and I warned him to be careful where he goes online, but I will check out the safe browsing tool. Should I be concerned that when I downloaded adwcleaner, it then tells me to go download the latest version again? But anyway, I ran the scan and attached the log

Attachments

• AdwCleaner[S0].txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you download it from malwarebytes then you'll get the latest version. I just downloaded it and wasn't asked to redownload the latest version. I'm highly suspecting he's visiting a bad website.

mike1414

To clarify, you think that this thing is isolated to a specific website and that he doesn't have anything on his computer?

mike1414

He said that he had his yahoo email open each time it happened. Upon checking out his email, I noticed that they have an ad space on the right hand side. Do you think it could be a malware ad that comes up sporadically when navigating through the email? I've had shady stuff pop up from ads like that before myself on reputable websites with ad space

mike1414

I appreciate the input on this. Thank you so much. I have added adblock plus to my dad's firefox and told him to let me know if he gets the problem again.