Budget Build / Comments Please

Phippsp

New Member
Alright whats up I've had a dead desktop for about 2 years now & been living off of a laptop. I spend a lot of time on my computer for games & graphic design.

I've been researching and looking for 2 weeks and have a huge headache lol. But I have a budget of about $400...I have a PSU already and cd/dvd drives. All I really need is the MOBO, cpu, graphics card, memory & harddrives.

Also on side note I want this set up to be upgradable for future installment. Here is what I have found so far please comment and give suggestions. Thanks!

mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131397
cpu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103694
memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231134
graphics:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150369

HDD is just 1 western digitial 320GB 7200rpm..notin special

This is my second build and its been about 2 years since doing it again which I really been looking forward to but WOW so much has changed....
 
Yes I have a OCZ 600 something from my old computer that I bought right near the end of its death because I thought I needed a new PSU for it lol. So I still have that, case & optical drives yes.
 

Ya most of this makes sense I'm just having a hard time coming back and tring to understand compatibility between different things. So AMD north bridge I can still use a Nvidia Video card without any troubles just no SLI correct? And the DDR3 1600 I been reading a lot of stuff about manually setting it to its advertised speeds and that you need a certain number of DDR3 1600 for it to actually work dah dah dah.

One more thing setting up a DDR3 rig right now is probably my best bet rather then going for a possibly cheaper AM2/AM2+ set up right? For future upgrades?
 
DDR3 now is the best way to go.

As far as the DDR3 1600. By JEDEC standards the board will boot it to DDR3 1333. You just need to go into the Bios and set it to 1600 and set the timing and voltage.

And yes you can use a Nvidia card just fine. Neither board is CrossfireX anyway.

But that is a pretty good price for that 4870 at Tiger. Which is better then a 4770/GTS 250
 
Last edited:
Alright thats easy enough and exactly how I read it as well thanks for that info.

So the two processors that you posted above the Triple Core 2.8ghz would be the better buy then the Dual Core 3.1ghz? In the end I thought between these two processors the Operating Frequency is the best way to go.
 
Well the X2 550 is just a dual core. The 720 is a triple core and both are BE models and overclock pretty close to the same. You get a extra core with the 720. And maybe and (chance) to unlock the extra core/s to get a quad on both. But at this point you probable have a better chance with the 720.
 
and actually the motherboard that I first posted does say crossfire ready on it. unless you weren't talking about this one lol.
 
and actually the motherboard that I first posted does say crossfire ready on it. unless you weren't talking about this one lol.

Asus B/S. The 770 chip is not suppost to be crossfire. It has a single X16 slot that doesnt move 8 lanes to the second slot to get 8X/8X in crossfire. The first slot stays at X16 and the second slot pulls 4 lanes (X4) from the southbridge. Running Crossfire with one slot a X16 and the other at X4 is a complete waste of time.

A true crossfireX board has the 790X/GX or FX chipset
 
just found this nice mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366

I know its a little more then my planed budget but I may be able to bump
up to around $500.

But another main question on this subject have the goal in mind for Crossfire/SLI or to totally write it off? If I would venture for crossfire/sli I wouldn't have it now but I would in a few months possible sooner half to buy the second video card.
 
one concern with the crossfire thing all together check out the image of the mobo and check out tiger direct the way the video card looks that FAN IS HUGE. Would I even be able to fit two of those on their?
 
ok thanks you for all your replies and also help from other parts of the forums here is the new list I've come up with combine pretty much everything I've gotten together.

Comments / Concerns awsome!

Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

GPU - choose this one because of Direct X 11 support <- good idea?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102865

memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231185

cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649
 
do you think I would take a huge performance hit moving from a AMD 720 to a AMD 550?

the AMD 720 is a Phenom II X3
the AMD 550 is a Phenom II X2

thoughts? save a few bucks on it plus could possible maybe buy a case within budget....if not worth it I'd make due.

thanks!
 
Back
Top