build your own laptop?

Trackerway

I want to get a laptop, and my husband said to me, "We could build one ourselves." He has an electronics degree, so he thinks he could do it, but he's been out of school for 20 years. Things have changed a bit... :p

What do you guys think? Can it be done?

cohen

No, you can build a desktop, otherwise laptops are out of the question really... left to the big companies.

RRA_Incognito

Actually, you can. If you take an existing case, just put a mobo with integrated graphics, and a laptop HDD/DVD drive and you'll be set.

There are guides online if you want to pursue the issue further.

dsella

banned
I'm sure buying parts off eBay and such you could get it to work. However, it would be a pain in the ass. Buy one premade.

headshot0123

I wouldn't try and build a laptop if I were you. Not yet anyway. Try searching for old parts at electronic recycling centers and similar places and build a desktop first. Even if you never use it you can at least get an idea of how a computer is supposed to be built.

Building a laptop is a lot harder than a desktop, and should only be attempted by someone with experience in building computers.

luckiegreat

go build it on dell

hey there,if were you i'll go build my laptop on dell,because it would be easier there,because you specify how you want your pc and it gets delivered to your doostep.like you realised,its long that ur hobby came out of school,it might be difficult for him or take him awhile before he is done,cheers!
http://www.computerappreciation.blogspot.com