Building a computer, does this sound good?

XHotxEx791

Arctic Silver and windows if you don't have. If you can afford, get Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition $114.

ROger

TheNomad

okay i have windows and is artic silver a case? ill search for it
ill probably get the sound card too

EDIT: nvm i found arctic silver, its a paste

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It basically has the same features as the Platinum edition and is only $69 at compusa after rebates.
Actually you have no idea how wrong that is :D
Audigy2ZS Gamer = Audigy2ZS + some games
Audigy2ZS Platinum = Audigy2ZS + a whole whackload of hardware
So my question from post #4 still stands (unless it was just because u got confused between the models)

TheNomad

okay, i went with the gamer edition because its $114 compared to platinum $173 at newegg (im just getting everything at this site to lower shipping costs)
is the hardware included in the platinum really that nice? and what about the platinum pro?

X24

Um, can't u just run to compusa and buy one in store? No shipping and you save a bit of money.

Also, unless you plan on working alot with music and such, there isn't a huge need to go with a platinum or platinum pro

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
oh so there's no difference, well its on sale anyways.
Read http://www.computerforum.com/showpost.php?p=116266&postcount=8 again.

is the hardware included in the platinum really that nice? and what about the platinum pro?
Only if you're into recording and stuff like that ... the difference between the Platinum and PlatinumPro is the type of connectors used. Not to be mean but for this case, ignore XHoxEx791 ... he doesnt seem to realize the Platinum series comes with additional hardware that the non-Platinums dont have (even though i kinda said so)

Um, can't u just run to compusa and buy one in store? No shipping and you save a bit of money.
Depends on the pricing ... sometimes online is cheaper, sometimes not

TheNomad

alright ill take off the sound card and buy the gamer edition since im not recording at my local computer store or buy it online if it's cheaper

TheNomad

my dad was telling me to shop this comp against a prebuilt ones
Specs:

Dell Dimension 9100 Pentium® 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs

Monitors FREE UPGRADE! 17 inch E173FP Analog Flat Panel

Video Cards 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X850 XT

Hard Drives 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

Mouse Logitech® MX™ 518 Optical Mouse

Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

CD or DVD Drive Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive

Sound Card Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

for $1,446.90 (excluding tax and shipping)

Geoff

VIP Member
TheNomad said:
okay, i went with the gamer edition because its $114 compared to platinum $173 at newegg (im just getting everything at this site to lower shipping costs)

the platinums have a drive bay, unlike the regular audigy 2 zs.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
my dad was telling me to shop this comp against a prebuilt ones
Specs:
Hehe ... try and find out what motherboard that system uses .... actually dont ... the point is that Dell uses some hacked out ASUS board which essentially means you have a good ASUS board ... and now you have a crippled ASUS board. ;)

Like Geoff said, the Platinums have a separate model ... the difference between the Platinum and the Platinum Pro is the type of connections on the module