Building a File Server

bawlmer

New Member
Hi and thanks in advance for checking out this thread.

I have a small home office where three people usually work. I have one 500GB WD EBook attached to one computer which used to be the backup solution and has since turned into our sole source for working files. Currently it is attached usb to one of the computers and mapped to the others.

What is the best solution to get out of this situation? I fear one day coming into the office and the HD burns out with no backup and our business is gone.

My thoughts (I'm no expert) were to build a basic modern computer, dual core, 1 or 2 bg ram, and put 3 500GB in Raid5 for 1TB of redundancy.

Can anyone give me a handle if I'm on the right track or not? Thanks again.
 
You can build your self a rig easily. A Dual core is more than enough for a file server but I would up ram to atleast 2 gigs. You can then RAID the drives and you got yourself a server. Now it goes to how the computers are going to be viewing it and which operating system to use. You can use Windows home server which is easy to work with but XP will do the job fine. You just have to make sure you can view the server from the pc's with filesharing turned on.
 
Ebay.

Wont need much then. An old celeron or something + 512 ram would do for a basic fileserver

set it up with samba, or windows (for less than 5 clients, you wont need the server version for just plain filesharing)

you guys got xp pro or home? or what?
 
Back
Top