Building a Laptop

wolfeking

banned
Yea, I never really looked that far into my newer truck (98 K2500 with 7,4 Vortec), but it has a plastic intake, but its only a cover (aluminum under the plastic top).

its too bad that Ian dont let us talk hackentosh here, cause the few apple sites that allow it arent very helpful at all.

Altered Phoenix

My gosh, so much activity since my last visit...

wolfeking said:
Apple has a superb build quality, and is just generally stable. As was stated, they have an all aluminum cage, which will last ages around the general plastic construction of the average PC laptop

I really don't see that much superiority in their builds. They never combine everything I want and keep it below $2000. I want a quadcore, large RAM, and a dedicated graphics card with 2GB or more. No apples that I have looked at offer all of that in my price range (which is around $1300).
My current laptop, ASUS UL-50VT has an aluminum top and hard plastic on the bottom. I have dropped it twice. No problem.

wolfeking said:
2 years ago HP had more reported breaks than the others

Dang it! Hopefully that really only is that specific graphics card. My dad and a friend of mine bought HP's on my recommendation when looking at their specs. I don't believe either have that GPU though.

DMGrier said:
The word "fanboy" was used like that cause that is how some of you acted, not recommending to him a computer for what he needs, Just cause he says apple does not mean it is the best option to him without at least informing him of price.

Yeah, everyone ignoring the part about me never wanting to own an Apple was slightly annoying...

DMGrier said:
Even though you will probably replace it for a computer with newer hardware before it ever breaks.

I know my current ASUS doesn't offer this, but are there laptops out there that can be upgraded as technology progresses? (i.e. a better CPU comes out or has a huge drop in price. Open the laptop and swap them).

DMGrier said:
My recommendation, build a desktop, pick which ever OS makes you happy whether Windows, OSX or linux does your fancy. You can build a desktop that will smoke a macbook pro or even most pc laptops for about $900 and have plenty to purchase a cheap laptop or nice netbook.

I'm on my sophomore year at college and, after a less-than-ideal first year, I am probably looking at taking a total of 5 years to graduate, 6 if I decide to double major in Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering (only 17 more credits than just a BS in ME. Sounds tempting...) But until I get a good permanent residence (i.e. an apartment that doesn't have only a 6-9 month lease or my own small house) I would like to stick with a very portable laptop.

All in all though, the whole debate has been pretty fun to read through. My computer knowledge is far better than the average consumer to the point where I generally know more about the product and it's capabilities than the salesman, but I am not advanced enough to fully understand all the details behind the inter-workings of a computer. That being said, both sides have helped my learn a bit more about purchasing computers and the like.

wolfeking

banned
My gosh, so much activity since my last visit...

I really don't see that much superiority in their builds. They never combine everything I want and keep it below $2000. I want a quadcore, large RAM, and a dedicated graphics card with 2GB or more. No apples that I have looked at offer all of that in my price range (which is around $1300).
My current laptop, ASUS UL-50VT has an aluminum top and hard plastic on the bottom. I have dropped it twice. No problem.

Dang it! Hopefully that really only is that specific graphics card. My dad and a friend of mine bought HP's on my recommendation when looking at their specs. I don't believe either have that GPU though.

I know my current ASUS doesn't offer this, but are there laptops out there that can be upgraded as technology progresses? (i.e. a better CPU comes out or has a huge drop in price. Open the laptop and swap them
You are talking about tech superiority. I was talking about how well they are assembled. (welded steel vs. 2x4's kinda thing).

Some laptops can be upgraded, but it is usually cheaper to just replace the laptop than to get it upgraded.

Altered Phoenix

Ok that makes sense. Although I am a pretty careful and meticulous person. Like I said, I have only ever dropped my laptop twice and neither of those two incidences were very severe.
Because of that, I tend to look for performance over durability.

And oh well to the interchanging and upgrading parts... I may look into it sometime but it shouldn't be a big problem with my new laptop. I plan to get something pretty powerful that should last long enough to keep me happy for a few years...

Altered Phoenix

What do you guys think of this? (I'm not going to buy it yet. I could afford it now but would like to wait another 2 weeks that way my bank accounts can have a slight cushion...)

ASUS N73SV-A1 for $1,273

01. Free Promotion : Free ASUS Targus Backpack (it was USD$79.99)
02. Model Name : N73SV-A1
03. Display : 17.3'' HD+ (1600x900) LED w/2MP Webcam
04. Processor : Intel Core i7-2630QM (2.0~2.8GHz, 32nm, 6MB, 45W) Processor.
05. Processor Thermal Paste : High Density Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound on both CPU/GPU (+$15)
06. Video : nVIDIA GT425M 1GB DDR3 VRAM
07. Memory : 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM (w/64bit OS only) (+$99)
08. Primary Hard Drive : 640GB 5,400rpm SATA HDD - 2 yrs warranty
09. Second Hard Drive : None.
10. DVD/CDRW Drive : Blu-Ray Combo with 8x Super-Multi DVDRW Dual Layer
11. Wireless LAN : Built-in Wireless 802.11BGN LAN w/ Bluetooth v2.1+EDR
12. Main Battery : 6-Cell Smart Li-ion Main Battery
13. MS Windows : MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Edition Pre-Installed
14. MS Office : None.
15. AC Adapter : AC Adapter - 110/240V 90W AC Adapter
16. Auto/Air Adapter : None.
17. Carrying Case : None.
18. Mouse : None.
19. Warranty : ASUS Two Year Global Warranty with AGEAR 2 Year Parts Warranty​

DMGrier

VIP Member
For your needs and price I highly recommend this laptop for design, quality of build and performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131117

SAMSUNG RF Series RF711-S02 $1,049.99
CPU: Intel Core i7-2630QM(2.00GHz)
RAM: 4GB DDR3
HDD: 750GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
Screen: 17.3" 1600 x 900 resolution and LED backlight
and even more specs you can read in the link provided.

Last edited:

Altered Phoenix

My only problem with the G- series of ASUS laptops is that they don't seem to have a very long battery life and they also have that extension on the back that would cut down on their portability.

AS for the Samsung. The build seems pretty good (minus what Wolfeking says about the GPU) but I don't know much about the company. That is why I prefer ASUS over a lot of other computer's. I've dealt with their company before and everything turns out well.

I found this. It also has the 540M though. Other than that, it is a very good build for the price. (And of course I would expand the RAM).
http://www.amazon.com/N53SV-XE1-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Aluminum/dp/tech-data/B004KNVK84/ref=de_a_smtd

FXB

So it's seems we've passed up on the idea of a mac. Best bet is to build a desktop with great components for about 900$ then get a netbook or laptop. I would never buy a laptop for super intensive work. They are all about portability.

Perkomate

for a good performance notebook check out originpc.com. they build laptops to order for you, and look pretty good from what i've seen.

DMGrier

VIP Member
So it's seems we've passed up on the idea of a mac. Best bet is to build a desktop with great components for about 900$ then get a netbook or laptop. I would never buy a laptop for super intensive work. They are all about portability.

I think that is your best option if I may say. If you want to build it yourself newegg.com is pretty nice but if you don't for price, build quality and warranty I would go with ibuypower.com but still pick up a netbook through newegg.com cause they really do have good selection.

Russ88765

Desktop isn't always the smartest choice, or even an option. Sounds like op needs a powerful rig, but one he can move around. Question is, who's got the best deal?

DMGrier

VIP Member
if you want the most power for your money desktop is the only way to go.

As previously mentioned, Op should buy a desktop and a cheap notebook or netbook.

The post above my last I was supporting your idea that you had mention earlier