Building a new computer for music production

Armpits

New Member
Hey, I'm gonna be building a new computer for music.

Just wondering somethings:

1) Intel CORE 2 QUAD Q9505 (2.83ghz) - Is this processor any good? How fast is this all up?

2) What is the best and reliable brand hard-drive? I'm looking at 2TB for a hard-drive.

3) I'm looking for 4gb of RAM DDR3, what is the best brand to go with on ram? Also what does NO ECC mean?

4) Now for the mother-board, I'm looking for not too overpriced, for around $200AU that will support the above. What's good?



Thanks!
 
intel core 2 quad is last generation CPU.
Get intel Core i5/ i7 or AMD Phenom IIx4

HDD - I usually get seagate. If you want it reliable, get the enterprise version.

RAM - Consair? G.Skill? Curcial? If you don't overclock, not really matter

Mobo - Get Asus/ Gigabyte. since you want something for music, I would assume you use onboard VGA.
LGA 775 - G43/ G45 chipset
LGA 1156 - H55/ H57 chipset
AM3 - AMD 785G/ 790GX chipset
 
For the hard drive, the Wester Digital Caviar Black 2TB is great, as is the Seagate daisymtc mentioned.

Music production is pretty heavy on the CPU, so I'd shoot for a Core i5 750 or an i7 of some sort if you can. The P55 chipset is designed for them, though H55 will work too.

The H55 was actually designed for the i3series and the rest of the i5 series. Those are all dual cores with hyper-threading.

For the RAM, any brand will do...pretty much all of them have a lifetime warranty. Go for DDR3 1600 if you can, and don't get a any that's more than 1.65v.

For the mobo, like daisy said- ASUS and Gigabyte are the best ones currently. MSI really is close behind though. My personal favorite is Gigabyte, because their mobos have a feature called Dual BIOS. It's a very good thing to have.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/tech_dualb.htm
 
Last edited:
Back
Top