Building a new gaming rig..$1500 cap

Graywolf117

This will be my first ever build from scratch...but i have rebuilt computers before so it shouldn't be much different.

Anywho, here are the specs. I would like to know if i should run with what i have or make modifications to save money and sacrifice as little performance as possible. (i do know about sandybridge is coming out in jan and may end up swapping, or just hoping for a price drop in some components)

HDD- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
GPU- GTX 465
RAM- G.skill 6GB DDR3 PC1600
CPU- i7 950
CPU Cooler- Tuniq CR-T120-EX-SV
Optical Drive- LG Blue-Ray player/DVD-RW
MOBO- ASUS Sabertooth X58
Power Supply- KINGWIN LZG-850 Gold

Case- Cooler Master HAF 932

So far i am at $1450. I do not need cutting edge anything, i am looking for longevity and bang for my buck. I have been thing about going AMD. Please, give all the advice you can, and is it okay to use ati with intel and geforce with amd without too much of a compatibility impact?

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
GPU: GTX 465 is not really a good GPU... crippled GTX 470. The GTX 460 1GB outperforms it and consumes less power and makes less heat.

PSU: kingwin is a brand to avoid. Stick to Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair, Antec, XFX. The XFX 650w and 750w units are probably what you would need if you plan on overclocking and such.

You could save money by going LGA1156 if you want.

You getting any thermal paste with that cooler? It might come with its' own but I always use Arctic Silver 5 and some ArctiClean or isopropyl alcohol to clean the cpu/cooler.

Graywolf117

if the gtx 465 is cheaper or the same price as the 460, should i buy it then, or just avoid it.

and what is more important ram speed or CAS latency?

fastdude

if the gtx 465 is cheaper or the same price as the 460, should i buy it then, or just avoid it.

and what is more important ram speed or CAS latency?

I doubt you'll be able to find a 465 cheaper than a 460; if you did, I'd still get the 460. Though personally I'd prefer a HD 6850 over both of those.

Depends. Are you overclocking?