Building Computer (First Time), Help Required

I like the PSU... Why do you want that CPU? What do you want to do with the comp? You can save a lot of money and still have comparable performace. The i7-920 will easily clock to that speed and save you $300 if you need that speed, lots of good DDR3 ram for $160, good MOBO's for $200 (P6T) ETC. Many overpriced items in my opinion but you might need them?
 
cpu could be changed. why is that so much money? geez...
if you are spending this much money you might as well get a different gpu. it would be your weakest thing. if you can, wait for the release of the new fermi nvidia cards. the prices of the newest gpu's should drop so you could save some money there. plus then you could get a card with dx11.
 
Ya, that was one thing I was wondering, do I really need to spend $600 on that CPU? Comp is for gaming, primarily Aion (I know I'm way above the system specs for that - https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?dnv=3683820235&action=viewItem&item_id=145) But I'll be playing other games on the side too, so need the capabilites for many. Also, as its my first comp, I'm hesitant to get into OC-ing, until I know and understand hardware better.

Also, the graphics cards have been playing on my mind for several reasons. 1. The dual or not to dual problem, and 2, are they powerful enough? Can you suggest some alternate ones?
 
If you research the web you wil find the i5-750 will handle just about anything thrown at it. But I know most are set on the i7-920. You don't need to OC either CPU though. Forget about that overpriced CPU.

It is hard for me to recomend a CPU from Newegg knowing how much better the price is at Microcenter. Where are you located, can you buy from MC?

Mobo
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359&cm_re=ASUS_P6T-_-13-131-359-_-Product
RAM
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...65&cm_re=ddr3_1600_6gb-_-20-227-365-_-Product
PSU (though yours is fine)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=650TX
Cant recomend a 5850 from Newegg since I dont like their brands right now and they are overpriced. You can get a reference 5850 for $309 locally. Reference means made by ATI, this will play any game. However, the 5870 I have in my sig is the fastest single chip GPU made and cost $409 locally. Most people will recomend a 5770 as a decent mid range GPU with all of the options most people will need. It is also faster than the card you selected and probably the right card for you. Consider this though, if you think you will want to play modern games with no lag that do stress the GPU get a 5850, it is much faster than the 5770 which is faster than the GT250.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-462-_-Product
 
At the moment you'd be better off going with a socket 1156 build due to the motherboard + RAM being cheaper, though having little to no effect on real world performance. The HDD you picked is okay, but it's just too expensive for what it is and 10000rpm HDDS have a tendancy to be loud and burn themselves out every few months. If you are looking for more perfomance, than I would suggest getting another Caviar Black 1tb and putting it in RAID.

CPU - Intel Core i7 860

Case - Coolermaster HAF 922

PSU - Corsair CMPSU 650tx 650w

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Motherboard - MSI P55 GD80

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb

DVD Writer - Liteon IHas324

GPU - MSI R5770 1gb

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Monitor - ASUS VW246H

Total - $1510
 
Last edited:
@Gabe

Fabulous comparison article. Had me confused at some parts, but the visual helped immensly. The $400 dollar price difference, and your personal experience (first comp i7, second i5) was enough to convince me to change. Must edit first post.

Also, no, I'm not able to purchase off Microcenter (they don't ship to Canada), so all my purchases will either be store-bought, or online bought. I'll do my pricing once all parts are picked.

Looking at the mobo you suggested, its specs say core i7, will it still be compatible with the core i5 - 750? The rest of the comparison I did between the one I had picked, and the one you suggested points out little differences between the two, but nothing I believe is major (correct me if I'm wrong). And its a $50 price difference. That never hurts.

If the only difference between the two PSU's is $20 and 100W, I might just stick with my first choice, for lasting value.

On to the video cards. Looking at the responses, I've gathered that dual-graphics just isn't necessary. That takes a load off my chest. I looked up the specs on the 5870 out of interests sake. That's piece is a behemoth eh? Based on my hate for lag, and willingness to spend more on a video card I'd probably go with the 5850 and see how that goes. If its too much, well, it won't need replacing for awhile at least.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102881

Edit because I just noticed you added a link for RAM. Compared your pick to mine, apparently the same, with yours saving me $50, but again, I'm plauged by the i7 issue. The RAM you picked does say specifically designed for i7, so will it work with the i5 you suggested?
 
Last edited:
@Fatality

I googled RAID, and got a headache, but got the gist of it. (combining 2 HDD's to be recognized as one). But then I looked around and discovered that the 7200rpm is apparently good enough for most people, and who am I do disagree with the masses? So I swapped out my HDD and swapped in yours.
 
You can see my sig and I do have both. I always recomend an i5-750.

Too bad you probably wont have Fry's there. THey have the best i5-750 + GA-P55A-UD3 sale I have ever seen at $225 plus a MIR on top of that right now!!!

The MOBO I said was only for an i7-9x0 (1366/ x58 socket).
Either of these are good boards, 1156 socket (i5-750/ i7-8x0)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412&Tpk=GA-P55A-UD3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131621&cm_re=p7p55d-_-13-131-621-_-Product

I like either PSU due to the single rail design and Corsair makes a solid product. The TX series is not modular meaning the wires do not unplug so you will have extra wires in your case. The HX series is modular but I don't think the diff in price is worth it anymore. I must have at one time though... The 750TX will have 4 PCIE cables in case you CF.

The 5850 GPU kills any other single chip GPU besides the 5870 and cost $100 less (than 5870). It is the value leader in performace and price, this is obviously subjective to budget.

As far as dual graphics cards, don't do it. One good GPU over 2 always. Both SLI (nvidia) and crissfire (ATI) both have as many issues as benefits. Get one strong card over two average cards.
 
@Fatality

I googled RAID, and got a headache, but got the gist of it. (combining 2 HDD's to be recognized as one). But then I looked around and discovered that the 7200rpm is apparently good enough for most people, and who am I do disagree with the masses? So I swapped out my HDD and swapped in yours.

I would back this 100% on the WD B 1TB
 
Yes, good ol' Canada. We have best buy, future shop, the source....and little else, at least in terms of the large chain stores. Atleast I think I'm not ignorant in this department. Could be. I always thought "Well atleast we have Tim Hortons" but recently heard that Timmies is in the States too. :P

Swapped in the only motherboard of those 2 you suggested that was available off the Canadian Newegg, also re-edited first post, with new hardware and updated questions.
 
Back
Top