Building first computer, for moderate gaming, first time, please comment

Snowman

Ok, it's that time again, time for a new computer. Rather than just call up Dell again, I want to build my first computer. It'll be used for work (nothing too intensive) and games, mostly World of Warcraft these days.

After a few hours worth of research on hardware, I've come up with the following list of parts and prices (mostly from newegg or zipzoomfly).

CPU: AMD 3200 Socket 939 - $190 (may splurge for the 3500 at $267)
MoBo: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum - $140
HD: Seagate 120GB 8MB Buffer - $90
Case: CoolerMaster Centurion 5 - $86 (350w PSU included, enough?)
VidCard: Chaintech nvidia 6600GT (PCIX) - $190
Memory: Corsair XMS PC3200 1Gb - $165
Appropriate DVD writer/reader and floppy drive: ~$85 total

So that comes out to about $950 total, which is good since my budget is basically $1,000 with no monitor and no OS.

Since this will be my first build, I have a noobie question: for the cords and such that I will need, will they come with the case, or mobo, or will I have to purchase them separately?

Please comment on what I have picked out, or feel free to suggest something else for anything listed here....that's why I'm posting on this forum, I value your input! :)

Thanks in advance! :D

Snowman

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Praetor, thanks for that link. I looked up the specs on the included 350w PSU with the Centurion 5 case, the +12v is rated at 16A; assuming I read everything on that link correctly, that's kind of weak.
Indeed that is week although check to see if there are multiple rails (you should be considering the cumulative amperage) :) As for your choice of PSU there, decent PSU although here is another one to consider http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-189-002&depa=0

Phippsp

That is a good choice on the motherboard in my opinion I just blew up the Gygabite GA-K8NXP-SLI and ordered the same board as you did after reading some very good post on it. The PSU would most likely cause you problems in the future since the video card itself has a 6pin connector on it for extra power to be driven into it, and the fact that the 12v is on a short rail but like preator said check out multi rails.

Preator is a awsome guy those 101's he creates are very helpful and I thank him for everyone he took his time to make.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
That is a good choice on the motherboard in my opinion I just blew up the Gygabite GA-K8NXP-SLI and ordered the same board as you did after reading some very good post on it.
Whoa ... you mean my motherboard? (i.e., dont buy it)

Preator is a awsome guy those 101's he creates are very helpful and I thank him for everyone he took his time to make.
:) Enjoy