Building high end gaming computer, help!

Yeti

VIP Member
PATA would be parallel ATA (the older IDE format as opposed to serial ATA) although you don't see it written like that too often

jonmaxwell

well i do know i wanna go high end on the GPU, im not sure if i wanna go $600, but it depends on what kind of preformance i would be getting.

I dont wanna sell my Dell, cause my girlfriend and i use it at home for all sorts of stuff...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
well I do know I wanna go high end on the GPU, im not sure if I wanna go $600, but it depends on what kind of preformance I would be getting.
Get a GeForce6800GT ... certainly less than $600 (hell even the 6800Ultra is less than $600)... an awesome balance of power and performance

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
As much as I love AMD, their AthlonXP line is peetering out and for 2-3K you can certainly do much better than to stick with them.

NOO!!! i jsut cant grasp it :cries in corner: lol. you are right...i dont know why i keep holding on to my precious rig. its days are almost up...

Praetor said:
They should handle high detail for Doom3 and ultra-high-insanely-good-quality-because-new-HL-engine-blows on HL2 :D

hehe...i cant wait till they start comparing retail boxes and HL2 is owned. ive never even played doom3 and i've played every single hl game and i know its gonna lose:)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
NOO!!! I jsut cant grasp it :cries in corner: lol. you are right...i dont know why I keep holding on to my precious rig. its days are almost up...
What can i say... i'm fair I give credit where it's due :p

kof2000

Praetor said:
There's a problem already.
- You gotta be richer than god.
- You're building a computer so you can brag?

Odds are you wont be using the 64bit functionality but in either case you're lookin at the FX53 or the P4EE. Now id you wanted to make a game server you're prolly best off with a Dual Opteron setup (simply because there isnt much of a benifit of switching to 4 procs).

Whoa. I'm not telling you how to think or live or whatnot but unless you're richer than god that's definitely not the (financially) wise way of doing things.

To my knowledge there arent any 64bit games yet :D

Killer yes. bragging no. Try this setup for size:

- AthlonFX53-2.4Ghz
- ASUS KT800 Pro
- 2 x Corsair TwinX Platinum 2GB Kit
- Prometeia Vapor Cooler Mach II Vapor cooler
- ASUS V9999 and OC the piss out of that
- Plextor PX-712A
- Multiple 15K SCSI-320 drives running RAID3 with 128MB cache (all in HDD racks)
- SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS Plat Pro
- A shitload of Vantec Tornados and a Ventec Nexus
- Matrix Orbital (those thingys are kewl!) :D

Of course you could wait a bit and get SLI :D

HOW MUCH will this setup cost LOL just wondering, probably close to a supercomputer lol.

FiberOptics

jonmaxwell said:
i want to build a computer i can brag about to buddies, and play high end games too! I also want it to be VERY fast and upgradable!

I do need help though, im starting with the CPU for my new system. Im putting it into the U2-UFO Case (looks awsome, plus lots of room), but what CPU. I have heard AMD is the best for gaming, true? ANd i dont know much about the 64 bit processors... is that the way to go?

Please, help. Any recomendations will be apreciated.

I wanna start building/buying parts in the next 2 weeks, and be done in about one-two months MAX ( i have a computer now, DELL. but i wanna go high end now).

Sry if someone already replied with this same answer.. ( i didnt feel like reading all 3 pages :p). 64 bit processors are what are gonna be more used for future applications and stuff. So if you wanna get ahead of everything, 64 bit is good; although it costs more.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
HOW MUCH will this setup cost LOL just wondering, probably close to a supercomputer lol.
A couple weeks back I built a system like that for someone (with a 6800GT and a different burner) but it ran on the order of $5500 for the tower. Of course the SCSI drives added a lot to the cost that normal power users probly wouldnt encounter.

64 bit processors are what are gonna be more used for future applications and stuff. So if you wanna get ahead of everything, 64 bit is good; although it costs more
By the time 64bit hits mainstream im pretty sure the 64bit chips nowadays will be somewhat obsolete :)