building

bebopin64

i am building my own laptop, but i really dont know how to do it. i have built a desktop but i know that laptops are a little bit smaller so do i need to buy special parts to fit in the case? and also where do i buy a case? pricewatch was no help there. im thinking of putting about a 2.6ghz processer in and 512mb ram idk what to do about a video card, because based on the size of my radeon i wont be able to fit one in there. any help is appreciated.

joshj

That's something I've always wanted to do, but have never had the courage to try
I think it's going to be hard, I have not seen just a laptop case for sale, and because they're all different sizes, I'm afraid you'll have alot of fun getting the right mobo and case together. Also, what about the screen?
If it ends up working out well, let us know.

Lax

VIP Member
one question i couldnt find an answer to, will a motherboard built for a desktop fit into a laptop?
Absolutely not. A desktop Mobo is desgined to fit in just that, a desktop. Laptop motherboards are much smaller and don't use PCI/AGP/slots the same way as a desktop board does. Instead of standing up the cards perpendicular to the motherboard laptop parts are stacked and spaced specially so they fit in such a small space.