Buying a D-SLR

Punk

Staff member
Once you decided that you want a D-SLR, you need to know what to buy. Of course you have a price range (unless you won the lottery). I will explain what I bought when i got my D40.

Most of the time, when you buy a D-SLR, you get a pack where you have the D-SLR (thank god...) and a basic Lense (good nonetheless) usually a 18-55mm or 18-70mm depending on the D-SLR.

When I bought my D-SLR (Nikon D40) I bought:
  • The Nikon D40 (around 450$)
  • Nikon DX 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 lens (came with the D40)
  • Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Tele Macro 1:2 Lens (130$)

You'll also need accessories to help you get good pictures. These are tripods, monopods, filters, flashes and even other lenses.

A tripod usually costs between 20 and 60$, filters costs around 10 and 20$, flashes are between 250$ and 600$ depending on what you get, lenses are between 80$ and 2500$ sometimes more...

What you'll need to start is:
  • A D-SLR (of course...)
  • Two lenses, one small (18-55mm is good) and a Tele Zoom (like my 70-300mm)
  • A Tripod or monopod for night pictures
  • UV filters for each of your lenses (make sure you get the right diameter)

Once you get your D-SLR, have fun :D

Geoff

VIP Member
I have a UV filter but never use it, I took some sample shots with the sun in view as well as on hazy days and really didn't notice a difference. The only reason I don't use them though is because my lens cap doesn't fit over the lens when I have a filter on, and it's a pain to remove it and screw it back on again all the time. :p

Punk

Staff member
[-0MEGA-];1039413 said:
I have a UV filter but never use it, I took some sample shots with the sun in view as well as on hazy days and really didn't notice a difference. The only reason I don't use them though is because my lens cap doesn't fit over the lens when I have a filter on, and it's a pain to remove it and screw it back on again all the time. :p

I got them to protect my lens while taking a picture :D