Buying Camera?

DMGrier

VIP Member
So I am looking into buying a new digital camera and I was wondering what to look for. I know the MP matters but I have seen some camera that seem to take better pictures with lower MP's, so is there something else to look into? Thanks.

Fatback

VIP Member
There are plenty of things to look for in a camera, but it depends on what your be using it for. So what will you be using it for? Just general picture taking? then any decent point and shoot will be good. Amateur photography, then you might want to look into a DSLR, or an SLR Like. The most common things to look for though is MP(more is better, but most people will never need more then 8-10MP), IQ(Image Quality), Zoom(3x, 5x, 12x, etc), ISO performance, ergonomics, is it user friendly. There are plenty more, but unless you want to use it for photography then you probably wouldn't care.

Whats your budget? Also do you want a Small camera, or a DSLR? I'd be happy to help you pick something out.

Charr

If you're looking for a fairly basic point and shoot camera that fits in your pocket I highly recommend the Powershot SD780IS. I bought it a few months ago and its probably one of the most quality purchases I've made in a long time. Theres only one problem I have with it, which is the position of the microphone. Its located in the place where my middle finger likes to sit, and I've ruined more than one video's audio by covering the mic. Other than that its an excellent little camera.

The great thing about this camera was that when I was new to it, I really had no idea what any of the settings did, and that didn't matter, it worked well without changing anything. The more I learned, the more often I'd switch up the settings, change the colours, effects, ect, and although its not really comparable to shots a $1000+ camera can take, they're still very high quality. Its a fun camera to fiddle around with.

I bought my mom the previous model a few years ago for her birthday and she loves it, she also has had no problems with it.

Punk

Staff member
MP does matter, but if you get a decent sensor you won't need that much MP. Photography is one of my hobbies, I use a D40, which has 6MP. You don't need that much more if you're not really into photography.

OverClocker

For basic point and shoot, I believe any brand will work but I prefer Olympus.
For a SLR, I got a D90. It started to be just a hobby and now I am loving it and I am going to make it profitable in the weeks to come.

Ankur

I have 8 MP Olympus, from 1 year and it takes great pictures
but I suggest you go for Cannon, its one of the top Digi camera companies.
It that u will have many options, i suggest the new IXUS

sunnysid3up

I would definitely get a DSLR. it makes a world of difference in pictures. I have a 50D but i used to have a XSi as a starter camera. The XSi has 12.2mp and picture quality is pretty good for a budget dslr and better than any point n shoot. you can get a XSi for as low as 350 if look :D

sunnysid3up

MP does matter, but if you get a decent sensor you won't need that much MP. Photography is one of my hobbies, I use a D40, which has 6MP. You don't need that much more if you're not really into photography.

MP actually adds more noise to the picture so look for image quality not MP.

D40 :good: