Buzzing/humming sound, like there's a magnetic charge/electrical tension in the PC

jo86

I bought a desktop PC a few months ago. Every once in a while, it would just restart. No blue screen, just, restarts.

So there's a permanent tiny little buzzing sound - coming from the PC hardware itself (not the speakers) - like a very faint "eeeeeeeee...eeeeee...eeee..eeeeeeee...". It's there when I scroll down a page, click... every little move I make. I noticed the restarts happened during specific tasks: on most online video players (though not YT) while clicking to skip, it's like it heightened the intensity and the 'eeee ... eeeee' screeching would be a tad louder, as if on the brink of a restart. Happens on programs like Photoshop or a music recording program, again, usually while clicking/dragging the mouse, the sound gets louder until the PC can't take it and restarts. Like those tasks are too much of an electrical load.

So I bought a new PSU, installed it today, and the weird sound is still there but the PC doesn't restart as much (although it still does occasionally) - and I'm afraid since the sound is still there, the PC will corrupt the new PSU and that it is only resisting for now before it weakens overtime.

That sound is like a constant pressure, or like some sort of a "magnetic charge". Also the PC often static-shocks me as I drag my fingers around its surface where the buttons are. It's like it's got some magnetic field around it and tension or sth. I'm quite positive it's a hardware issue. PLEASE help !

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's new therefore its under warranty, take it back and get a new one. Sounds like the there is a short in the case somewhere. Possibly motherboard touching case.