Cable Internet...

alienationware

Ok, this cable internet company is spooking me out...

Rogers @ Home any1?

It only works 15% of the precious 24hr that I have each day. In WarCraft III, I can count on getting disconnected within 5 min of the game in such resource non-intensive games as Wintermaul. Counting the lag, it's even worst than the continously streaming 56k connections. ************ cable company. Thing is, I got no choice if I want anything approachable to "high-speed" because this god **** cable monopoly in my area. No DSL connectivity available yet, even tho I live in a metropolitan city in Canada.

At first, I suspected a faulty cable connecting the modem to the cable outlet. When I move the modem next to the "master cable" sticking out of my floor, I find the same god **** intermittent service disruption. Phoned the god **** company, but all they did was "boost the signal" which worked okay for the next 10 minutes thereafter, then fails.

Any1 got any suggestions as to the problem/solution?

I suspect this to be god **** ********** greed monopoly company policy. "We are the only operation highspeed/cable company in your area so get used to the god **** non-existant service, since you (desperately) need our service, and we will deliver said service at the time of our choosing during the day".

Anyother problem that I could think of was going over my upload/download limit probably set at 10Gig/month. Hmmm, not really the case tho, since I could not have downloaded more than 3 Gigs of data this month. And no, I'm not the sharing type. I don't share anything beyon 50kB over the internet.

Just bring in a new cable company into my area bro, and I'll shove that cable bill up ur arse Rogers.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I had intermittent connection with my first cable modem. The signal boost helped for a while, but the solution was setting the connection type to 10 / half duplex (at the advanced network adapter properties).

alienationware

What is...

What is this half duplex thing. Plz explain in technical terms... I love technical terms... (Tho I might not grasp all of them at first, there's always internet dictionaries)...

Give me the whole ordeal...

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Full duplex: network connection type that provides for network nodes sending and receiving data at the same time, thus doubling the theoretical "speed limit" of connections.
Half duplex: the normal connection type of network interface cards on Ethernet setups. Data can only be received or transmitted at one time (not both).

It seems that some (older or cheaper) cable modems don't work well with full duplex connection...

alienationware

Sorry, I had to go again...

But how do you explain the phenomenon of the send light blinking off, but not receiving anything back for one whole hour? or maybe more hours?