Cable Modem - Switch - Wireless Router...Can I?

Da Mail Man

Greetings,

Having a cable modem,
1).....can I run a cat 5 cable from the cable modem to a multi-port switch (or do I have to put a router ahead of the switch) -
2).....that will feed 2 other barely used computers and from that switch -
3).....run a cat 5 cable to a wireless router that will feed 2 other computers?

....and work?.....

Intel_man

VIP Member
Unless you're trying to run multi IP setups with your modem, I would put the router ahead of the switches.

Also, why are you making things complicated?

Da Mail Man

The modem and 2 computers are in 1 room...The other devices are in another where is where I want to put the wireless modem.....I just asked if this will work in the "order" that I have said......

beers

Staff member
The router will share a single external IP with a separate internal network.

A switch won't and you'll have each device contending with the single address that is offered out.

Da Mail Man

1)...*My "goal" is to have internet in a back room where the cable modem is located and a wireless router in a front room where I have access to it...

2)....I have 2 wireless linksys routers...

3)...I wish to shut off the wireless at the back room where the cable modem is located...

4)....I have shut off the wireless in the back room linksys router...

5)....I wish to plug in 2 computers in the back room for occasional use...

6)....I wish to run a single cable to a front room to another 4-post linksys wireless router with THE WIRELESS TURNED ON....

7)....from that wireless capable (since other is turned off) router, I wish to run cables to power 2 more computers...

I tinkered with it early this morning but, didn't give it much attention and failed.......(probably a wrong connection)...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes this is simple to do.

1. Assuming router #1 internal IP is 192.168.1.1 then you need to assign router #2 internal IP to 192.168.1.2 In order to do this you need to connect a pc directly to an lan port on router 2 without it being connected to anything else. Login to the router and change internal IP to 192.168.1.2, disable dhcp and nat.
2. Take the ethernet cable from router 1 and connect to lan port on router 2. You can connect the other 2 pcs to other remaining 3 ports.

You set it up like this so that you can share files between pc's easily without them being on separate networks. You can even access the router #2 login page from a pc that is attached to router #1 just by putting 192.168.1.2 in the address bar.

I can no longer find the exact article that showed how to connect 2 wrt54g series routers together but this is pretty much the same as what I typed out.

Da Mail Man

S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R!

I will check this out sometime tomorrow and "report back"....
Time to look at the back sides of my eyelids...(11:15pm eastern time U.S.A.).....YAWN.....