Cable Modem Weirdness

Kboy

The other day, my cable internet connection stopped working. I tried checking all the connections, and eventually I called my ISP (Road Runner Cable Internet). Anyway, they said that sometimes when Windows XP is updated to SP2 (as mine was), the firewalls that Windows makes can keep the computer from connecting with the cable modem. I uninstalled SP2, but it still didn't work. Eventually I had to reformat and reinstall Windows XP, which wasn't that big of a deal because I just backed up all my files a little while earlier.
Anyway, I guess I just want to know why this happened and if anybody knows how to avoid it, because my ISP didn't really explain it very well. I also kinda want to warn anybody if you have cable internet and upgrade to SP2, this could happen to you.

Last edited:

MeatBridge

Did you try un pluging the cable modem? This happened on my moms computer but was easily fixed by just shutting off windows firewall.

S_Doherty

Yes, the best way to avoid conflicts with firewalls and internet connections is to disable it. You could always find a third-party firewall if it is a large concern for you

Kboy

I tried disabling the firewalls, but maybe I just missed something. Anyway, it didn't work, but since it works fine now, I'm not worried about it.