Camera Filter

g4m3rof1337

I'm looking to get a filter for my camera lens, not exactly sure what information you need, but I have a 14-42mm lens and a 40-150mm. I'm looking for filters that will improve the overall quality of the photos.

Thanks.

4NGU$

VIP Member
we could do with the diameter of your lens screw mount

for example the canon 18-55 mm lens has a 58mm diameter
it should be written on the front of the lens by the glass next to the symbol of an o with a \ through it

4NGU$

VIP Member
Last edited:

4NGU$

VIP Member
yeah you need a 58mm filter

i was only using a graduated nd filter to bring the sky in and over exposing you also have to find the right settings on your camera to make the colours more vibrant

g4m3rof1337

i think it was at you but
you did already put that about 2 posts up, so yeah lol

Hm, alright.

Anyways, is there a site/tutorial that can help me find the right settings?

And do I even need a filter? Ultimately, I would like one if it would make the picture look almost like an HDR, where everything is vibrant, but with one picture.

Thanks.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
And do I even need a filter? Ultimately, I would like one if it would make the picture look almost like an HDR, where everything is vibrant, but with one picture.

Thanks.

Well honestly if you don't need the filter for special needs (ND/ GND or CP, etc) then I really wouldn't recommend using one. However in terms of cheaper lenses it's not so bad, but if you threw down a lot of money on some nice glass, why would you negate all that just to throw another element on top which is of lesser quality?

4NGU$

VIP Member
if you spend the money on professional filters then its still high quality glass and then you don't get big ass scratches on your lens if anything ever goes horribly wrong.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Sure, but filters that can equal the quality of really nice glass can cost a fortune, if they can equal it at all. I'm always using a lens hood, and a good lens hood does plenty for protection, plus reduces reflections & glare to boot.
I hardly use filters anymore and have never had an issue, but I prob take better care of my equipment then most do.

Filters obviously have their place, and on cheaper lenses I see why people use them. I'm mainly advocating for high end glass optical quality is all.

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
For learning about your cameras setting, check out the book 'understanding exposure' it will become your bible as you learn about finding the right exposure to get really good looking pictures.

g4m3rof1337

For learning about your cameras setting, check out the book 'understanding exposure' it will become your bible as you learn about finding the right exposure to get really good looking pictures.

I already let you know personally, but I did pick this book up, and it helped out quite a bit, I love it.

I also picked up some filters for my camera, 1 PL and two UV, the guy gave me the second UV for free. I was checking on some sites, and noticed some neat filters, like a macro one, is that actually useful, or just a gimmick? Can you recommend any other filter types?

I'm also shooting in Manual more, which is a big step for me. :p