Camera Memory

tobywuk

I am buying a Sony a100 DSLR and in the description for this camera it says the following:

"CompactFlash compatible (MemoryStick Duo adapter inc.)"

Does this mean that this camera is compatible with "CompactFlash" and "memoryStick" type memory cards?

If so, which would be the best to go for?
Is there any difference with all the different compact flash cards available apart from size? I noticed some are called "compact flash 2" but what is the difference?

n3kro

I personally would go for the CF card..the reason being the memory stick is pretty much only used with Sony products. So if you ever decided to get a camera that wasn't a Sony, you wouldn't be able to use it most likely. As for difference between the two, it's pretty much just form factor.

As for CF and CF2..the difference between the two is CF2 is the newer version of the CF cards. It's going to be a little thicker, but it can hold more memory. Depending on how old the a100 is it may or may not be compatible with the CF2 type cards. But ya, I would definitely go with a CF card, they are more of a standard than the memory sticks.

alexandergre

Can you please tell me why you are buying Sony a100 DSLR ?
have you seen Canon DSLR cameras?
350D and 400D rocks for you!

4 month ago I also wanted to buy Sony alpha 100. But after many researches and posting on forums, I founded out that 350D was a better one FOR ME!

n3kro

4 month ago I also wanted to buy Sony alpha 100. But after many researches and posting on forums, I founded out that 350D was a better one FOR ME!

I have to agree with this hehe. If your wanting to get into some basic photography I'd recommend either to Rebel XT or XTi (350D and 400D if your in Europe I believe) for you. They are good cameras without having to spend the money on one of the semi-pro to professional models which run from around $1200 up.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
As per the original question on the cards, I believe the Compact Flash can actually be purchased with a higher saving/recording speed as well. Makes it so that you can use any of the 10 shots in a second type of features that the camera might have...

vroom_skies

VIP Member
I disagree, strongly. There are other brands besides Canon that are just as good and quite a bit better for around the same price. The Sony A100, is a fine choice. If you've done your research and know what your getting, then thats all you really need.
Remember, it's the photographer that 'makes' the photo. The camera is just a tool and there are plenty of tools that will get the job done.

Bob

I have to agree with this hehe. If your wanting to get into some basic photography I'd recommend either to Rebel XT or XTi (350D and 400D if your in Europe I believe) for you. They are good cameras without having to spend the money on one of the semi-pro to professional models which run from around $1200 up.

alexandergre

Remember, it's the photographer that 'makes' the photo. The camera is just a tool and there are plenty of tools that will get the job done

100% agree with you. There is a girl on flickr.com (id dont remember her name)who has just a normal compact camera, and her images are just amazing! she Gets at least 100 comment for each of her photos.

There is no camera which can be the best! every camera has its own properties. If you liked one and you feel that camera is good for you, then just get it!

BTW do you have Flickr?

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Are you asking if I have a Flickr?

I don't, I'm in the process of finishing up my own site.
I don't really like being a part of a huge photo site. I'd rather have my own website for my pictures.

Bob

tobywuk

I went for the sony over the canon as i preffer how the sony A100 felt, It has a better kit lense and it has Image stabalisation which the canon does not have.

I have looked into the canon 400D, Nikon D40x and the sony in detail. All the canon fenatics say canon, all the nikon fenatics say nikon and there are no Sony DSLR fenatics cos its there first camera which is why you dont hear so many people say there the best. I ahve read a lot of reveiws of the sony A100 and EVERYONE who has had one loves it Where as all the comments for the other two camera's are mixed. I have also heard storys of people with there friends having Canon 400D's who actually preffer there sony A100.

Dont tell me a camera is better or worse just because you like the make, tell me its better or worse because it actually is. its all down to personal preferance.

Last edited: